Any advice on private selling?

(4 Posts)
queenbrunhilda Fri 02-Jan-15 12:52:40

So fed up with the trade-in valuation being ££££s off the book price for a private sale that we've decided to sell ourselves. But nervous...any top tips?

WMittens Sun 04-Jan-15 13:34:47

I'd rather take the hit and trade in - I hate dealing with private buyers, royal pains in the arse. Be prepared for idiots thinking they're doing you a favour by offering a third of the advertised price "for cash", time wasters guaranteeing they'll come back and buy it, hold it for me, definitely want it yadda yadda, so you lose three potentially serious buyers until they decide they don't want it after all.

queenbrunhilda Sun 04-Jan-15 18:36:17

Oh dear...

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sun 04-Jan-15 18:47:06

I sold my old car privately. Put it on Auto Trader. Was easy. The website is foolproof. Sold it to the first person that rang. Took about two days. Gave it a good wash, polish and hoover and took some lovely photos of it. Was really very easy. Filled in all the specifications tick boxes on the website, wrote a little description and uploaded the photos. Auto Trader put one of those telesafe phone numbers on the advert. Had about five calls and the first couple were so nice. They came to look at it and brought the cash with them, they were so keen.

Just don't bother with We Buy Any Car. They offered me £900. I sold it for £2,000 which was under the going rate for all the other identical models on Auto Trader.

Honestly, it was so easy and convenient. Give it a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now