How do you get petrol out of a car??

(8 Posts)
pinkrocker Thu 01-Jan-15 12:46:13

I promise I'm not doing anything illegal! Basically someone wrote off my beloved car a couple of days after I filled it. It's sat on a private drive waiting on scrap merchant to collect in a few days sad
6 weeks down the line I've just managed to buy a replacement car.
Is there any way at all to transfer the fuel? Or am I delusional!

Damnautocorrect Thu 01-Jan-15 12:48:40

Halfords sell a little pump and tube if I remember rightly.
The scrap yard will siphone it and keep it so you may as well.

figgypuddings Thu 01-Jan-15 12:49:35

Syphon it through a piece of hosepipe and gather the fuel in cans.

Don't smoke for a week.

Hippiastrum Thu 01-Jan-15 12:51:04

You need a long piece of plastic tubing, a syringe or anything that can "suck up the first little bit of petrol. (The AA man just used his mouth, but I don't recommend that).
As long as the near end of the syphon is lower than the bit that goes in the tank, the tank will continue to empty once the flow starts. Put the end into a petrol container on the ground. Make sure you have enough containers to hold all the petrol, and be very careful about fire hazards.

pinkrocker Thu 01-Jan-15 13:23:13

Thank you all ! I wondered if there was a security thing to get past on the filling nozzle of old car, doesn't sound like it ao we shall give it a go!

BertieBotts Thu 01-Jan-15 14:46:35

Yeah DH did it with his mouth once and almost fainted due to the fumes. Not a smart idea!

WMittens Sun 04-Jan-15 13:31:18

1. Put a drain pan/try underneath fuel tank.
2. Undo the drain plug.

WMittens Sun 04-Jan-15 13:31:27

*tray

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now