Is there a car that fits these requirements??

(3 Posts)
Maki79 Fri 05-Dec-14 12:56:53

Hi There!

We currently have a Saab 9-5 Aero sport Estate. We love it, it's luxurious and fun to drive but it has a low mpg (28) and the Tax is �475 a year.

We are expecting our third child and although I think we wouls all fit in the Saab we would need to get a third seat belt as that has broken and Saab parts are pretty hard to come by. I'm thinking I would rather bite the bullet and get a different, more economical car now.

So, these are our requirments;

Must seat 5 (ideally with option to seat 7 so I can still pick up dc's friends on occassion)

Must not be less economical to drive that the Saab

Tax must be cheaper!

Must have a reliable reputation

We would prefer an 'interesting' vehicle.

Our budget is �5k!

Are we being too unrealistic?? Any help greatly appreciated!!

WMittens Fri 05-Dec-14 13:55:12

The optional 7 seats and 'interesting' is going to be almost mutually exclusive. I'd say the Focus ST but you're not likely to find any under £5k.

I think you are being overly optimistic.

If it's really interesting, you can expect lowish MPG; if it's low MPG, it's high tax; if it's under £5k and 'interesting', it's probably not going to hugely reliable any more; conversely, if it's interesting, cheap to run and luzurious it's not going to be under £5k! Supply and demand. If it seats 7, it's going to be larger and heavier, so less likely to be 'interesting' and likely lower MPG.

If you do enough miles to make it worthwhile, a large-engined diesel estate (BMW 330D for example) - BMWs aren't the last word in reliability.

If you don't do enough miles, who cares about MPG?!

TeaAndCake Fri 05-Dec-14 14:18:57

Erm, prob not fitting all your criteria but we bought a Honda FRV after the birth of our third DC and couldn't fit 3 car seats in the back of our ancient Volvo V40 (which I loved). DC 1 sits in the front centre seat and we still have a seat in the back for an occasional extra passenger.

Very reliable, comfortable, spacious, huge boot space and very easy to get in and out of.

2l petrol engine so not small but we get about 28 mpg so not terrible.

Would probably come under your £5k budget.

Admittedly not that quirky but there are very few of them around here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now