should i learn to drive or not :/

(12 Posts)
ghostspirit Sat 22-Nov-14 18:57:47

im thinking about learning to drive then get a car. just a run about. i already have children and due a new baby in april. im really thinking i can not be arsed getting on buses with a baby and buggy. and all the general hassle that comes with using public transport. it would just be nice to get in the car and go from A to B. and could get to work in 10 -15 mins rather than 45-50 mins. and to leave work and get to the school without worrying if they are going to miss out a bus and im late for the kids coming out of school. and just to be able to shop and stick it in the car. just seems a good thing. i know cars cost to run/insurance etc.

But having said all that i have been all theses years without a car and have managed i live in london. so its not like its a bus every 2 hours or something.

but also im not sure if the above is a good enough reason to get a car.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 22-Nov-14 19:01:25

Do it. I can not yell you how much you will not Miss standing in the snow at bus stops for buses that are half an hour late with a baby screaming because they are cold despite the layers you have put on them.

you won't miss spending hours a day travelling just to go five mins down the road.

I'm. learning now and believe me that's all I can think about. I've been a slave to buses do for years. It sucks

ghostspirit Sat 22-Nov-14 19:06:03

Thanks giles. i was also thinking about how rude and ignorant people are on buses and the buggy-bus wars. i get pissed of just watching other people i dont even have a buggy yet. so sod knows how it would piss me of when i do. i know it will cost alot of money to start but i guess thats how it is. bus fare costs me 21.50 a week. i know it be alot more but will get cheaper with time.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 22-Nov-14 19:15:44

Yes there are many arse holes on buses.

I can't count how many times I've had people watch me collapse as the bus drives of so it's moving as I do.it only to last minute get up and say "oh would u like to sit here" or get off at the next stop.

or moan that she's crying. well yes I made the bus late and my baby cold. they watched my cable tie the gloves on and cover her in multiple blankets. not sure there's anything else i could have done hmm

or the buses driving past so not to have the buggy on.

I had a stroller not a tank so no danger of me taking up loads of space.

I'm. soooo desperate to.pass now. Do it and never look back.

ghostspirit Sat 22-Nov-14 19:22:06

The only thing is i have had lessons before failed the test several time in an automatic blush but im kind of hoping it was just wrong time in my life. had alot going on during that time.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 22-Nov-14 19:28:30

I was so bad in one lesson my instructor never showed up again blush

keep trying you will get there. The stage of life can be a huge factor. You are bound to be more determined and focused now and the pressure is off if you will be ok.either way in the mean time.

ghostspirit Sat 22-Nov-14 19:36:05

indeed. going to give it a go i think smile

SwedishEdith Sat 22-Nov-14 19:40:19

Learn to drive just for the choice it gives you. You don't have to get a car straightaway but it's lovely to know that you can.

ghostspirit Sat 22-Nov-14 19:48:02

very true edith. i know someone that will get me a cheap and cheerful car and he would keep it ticking over for me. insurance is the worst thing. but one step at a time and as you say at least i will have my licence

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 22-Nov-14 19:48:49

I wish you lots of luck and happy driving smile

ghostspirit Sat 22-Nov-14 19:52:35

smile

CorporeSarnie Sat 22-Nov-14 19:57:20

You need to find the right instructor with the right approach for you. If you don't like the first person you try, try someone else - there are many approaches to tuition. Ask around for recommendations. The freedom that being able to drive, even if you choose to use the bus done of the time, gives you is great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now