How much is reasonable for a second hand VW Golf?

(10 Posts)
Brodicea Mon 10-Nov-14 20:04:56

We have a maximum of £5k to spend on a second hand car. DH and I are both learning at the mo so need something reliable, easy to drive etc. The Golf seems to come up as the best pick - but I know you pay more for the name. How much should you reasonably spend on a VW Golf second hand?

We're also looking at the Ford Focus, but I hear the visibility and turning circle are both poor.

Thanks!

Fluffy40 Mon 10-Nov-14 20:15:22

Take a look at the SeAt range.

they are part of the VW group, so quality is very good, but you pay much less.

ford focus is also a very good family hatchback. Steer clear of French cars , the parts are very dear.

northernmummeh Mon 10-Nov-14 20:18:19

Second seat. I have the ibiza and it has the build of a VW but without the price tag.

Also ford are worth looking at. I had a KA probably a bit small for what you might want but the thing was indestructible. Had it for 10 years. It went round the clock. It got ragged around festivals and up n down the country and I can count on one hand the garage bills outside of MOT/SErvicing i had to pay.

CheshireSplat Mon 10-Nov-14 20:20:45

I'd agree that VWs are expensive. Skodas are part of the same group (like the Seat as mentioned) and I've been very happy with my Fabia and then Octavia, both of which cost me about £4,000. Worth a look I would think.

Panzee Mon 10-Nov-14 20:24:19

I bought a 10 year old Golf about 5 years ago for £5k.

MuddyBootsAndPinkCoats Mon 10-Nov-14 20:25:02

It all depends on the wear and tear of the car, but 5k should get you a decent second hand Golf. And they've earned their name for reliability.

Skoda's are Golfs behind the bodywork I think. Saabs ended up being Vaxhaul Cavaliers etc

You just need to go online and do the research about what to look for.

PigletJohn Mon 10-Nov-14 20:33:36

a small Toyota is less fashionable, but will be far better VFM (and more reliable)

WMittens Mon 10-Nov-14 22:05:12

they are part of the VW group, so quality is very good

And they've earned their name for reliability.

Check out the Warranty Direct reliability index - VAG cars usually occupy 5 or 6 of those places.

Steer clear of French cars , the parts are very dear.

I don't think they're particularly expensive in terms of parts (although the Citroen hydractive suspension can be costly to fix), more that you end up paying out often.

If you're after reliability, the Japanese brands are probably the safest bet: Honda, Toyota, Mazda.

Brodicea Tue 11-Nov-14 08:50:02

Thanks all - have hear the Japanese brands are good for reliability, certainly won't rule them out. Will also check out the Skodas and Seats. I'm learning in a Vauxhall Astra and although it would be good to have the same car, I'm not that impressed with it!

Thanks again

CheshireSplat Wed 12-Nov-14 09:28:57

Hi Brodi. Good luck with it all. I just popped back as I realised I'd done that annoying thing of not actually answering your question (about a Golf)?but you've taken it very well!

We used Parkers car guide reviews on line to help us narrow down the choices.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now