Talk

Advanced search

Someone explain the S-Max handbrake to me!

(9 Posts)
AliceMum09 Thu 06-Nov-14 21:38:30

Hi,

I have a perfectly decent Peugeot 5008, but in my dreams would like an S-Max so have been having a browse on the Internet!

Anyway, I just wondered how you put the handbrake on and off? It doesn't look like a conventional handbrake. The fact that there is even a handbrake bothers me slightly anyway, as the 5008 and the Renault Scenic we had before that only have an automatic parking brake that just comes on when you switch the ignition off. I think if I had to go back to remembering to put a handbrake on I would be forever leaving the car and then seeing it slowly rolling away!

Thanks!

arewethereyetmum78 Thu 06-Nov-14 21:42:00

There's a button on side and you press it whilst pulling handbrake up and down. It took a few tries to get used to it but it's easy to work. We've had smax nearly 6 years and love it. Hoping to get a new one next year

fuckwitteryhasform Thu 06-Nov-14 21:43:25

It's very easy! It's a handle you grasp with your left hand and pull up. I think it also reminds you if you put it in parking mode and try to turn off the ignition without pulling up the handbrake.

fuckwitteryhasform Thu 06-Nov-14 21:43:58

Mine doesn't have a button on the side I'm sure, it just pulls up

Spadequeen Thu 06-Nov-14 21:45:09

It's very east but takes a while to get used to once you've had an automatic brake

AliceMum09 Thu 06-Nov-14 22:21:29

Great, thank you! I guess I would just have to get used to it!

Also, my Peugeot has a feature called 'hill assist' - basically meaning that you never have to do clutch control! If you are stopped on a hill (say approaching a roundabout, or at some traffic lights) you can just sit with your foot on the brake and in 1st gear, then when it is time to move off you take your foot off the brake and the car 'magically' holds itself for 2 seconds while you get your foot over to the accelerator. It'd fab, and again if the S-Max doesn't have anything like that I might be forever rolling back into the car behind!

HarrietSchulenberg Thu 06-Nov-14 22:25:45

Is it not just like a clumsier version of a normal handbrake?

kilmuir Thu 06-Nov-14 22:31:14

I must be ancient, its a normal, biggish, pullup handbrake? ? ?

WMittens Fri 07-Nov-14 09:22:07

You pull it up for 'on'.

pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200701/2007-ford-s-max-20_600x0w.jpg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now