Recommend Me Your Small Car

(22 Posts)
LIZS Fri 31-Oct-14 16:40:05

Needs to be economical in urban conditions, powerful enough to cope with hills and good in icy conditions on hills/lanes, 5 door and able to cope with teens in the back, big enough boot for sports bags etc ideally with low sill, comfy ride. Would value solid and practical over fashion cars like Fiat, Beetle or Mini. Probably less than 2 years old under £10k. Ideas please ?

VivaLeBeaver Fri 31-Oct-14 16:41:38

Ford fusion, but not sure if you'd find one less than two years old as they stopped doing them a bit ago I think.

Skoda yeti or Nissan note were similar cars I looked at when I bought a Fusion.

LIZS Fri 31-Oct-14 16:43:21

"old" style Note a possible (except mil has one !) like the higher ride. Past cars include Clio and Mercedes A Class but both have morphed and grown since.

Sirzy Fri 31-Oct-14 16:44:46

Until recently I had a corsa which was great 5 doors, big enough boot for a pram when DS was younger.

Now have a micra which is nice but not as nice as the corsa.

Twitterqueen Fri 31-Oct-14 16:44:52

I've just bought a Honda Jazz - only last week.
I'm impressed so far. There's lots of room in the back (I have 3 teenagers, though you wouldn't want all three in the back together for anything other than v short journeys. Boot is good too. Though my dog takes up all the space so I have to put shopping in the back.

I had a Picasso for 13 years, which I loved - perfect in every way. But can't afford a new one. My Jazz is 3 years old but has only 14,500 on the clock.

TheCraicDealer Fri 31-Oct-14 16:49:13

I have a Fiat 500 which is fantastic and economical to run but doesn't have the five doors you're after. DSis has a VW Polo and it's a great car; plenty of room in the back, bit more poke than my Fiat (both have a 1.2 petrol engine) and again economical to run.

Floralnomad Fri 31-Oct-14 16:49:59

We have a Kia Soul , when we bought it we also looked at Notes ,Yetis and C3 Picasso , the Soul was the best to drive and had the best spec for the price . Its a lovely car to drive ,very economical and I would definitely get another in the future .

Lilymaid Fri 31-Oct-14 16:51:23

I love my Honda Jazz, though I don't find it particularly good on hills due to its gearing (possibly because this is very different from cars I've had before). I've got a 1.4 and it gives just under 50 mpg. It is very adaptable with the seats folding to flat, so great for load carrying (always useful if your DCs are likely to go off to university soon). Very good quality finish and reliable. MY DSs (both over 6' tall) find it OK sitting in the back.

BikeRunSki Fri 31-Oct-14 16:54:21

Skoda Fabia - does everything you've asked for. Runs on fresh air practically. Ugly as sin!

LIZS Fri 31-Oct-14 17:32:25

Polo a possible , not sure about a Skoda, like the flexibility of the Jazz but dh thinks it is too "old" ! tbh I'd love a Audi A1 but too pricey .

AppleRings Fri 31-Oct-14 17:48:02

I have a Honda Yaris hybrid - I love it and it uses very little petrol too which is a bonus!

LIZS Fri 31-Oct-14 17:49:07

Do you think a Yaris would be big enough ? I do like the look of them .

Muskey Fri 31-Oct-14 17:51:11

I was going to say fiat 500 but isn't 5 door but was my ultimate favourite small car. I have recently bought a mini clubman which is lovely too

Pipbin Fri 31-Oct-14 17:53:28

I have a Note and I love it!
It's taken 4 adults comfortably and the boot is huge.

Pipbin Fri 31-Oct-14 17:54:53

Oh yes, DH is 6ft 4 and fits easily.
Also very easy to park on the road, which I had to do every day in my last house.

AppleRings Sat 01-Nov-14 22:09:23

How many teens do you have? It wouldn't be great for long journeys but I just use it to get around and would fit sports bags in the boot fine

LIZS Sun 02-Nov-14 21:05:30

2 . Most of the time ds is in the front but dd is struggling for legroom if he has the seat back! It would mainly be for getting to work , shopping and school runs as dh will have a larger car.

LIZS Mon 03-Nov-14 18:13:57

and are all hybrids automatic ? dh seemed to think all the Yaris range was. Also a proper handbrake ?

AppleRings Mon 03-Nov-14 19:46:14

Proper handbrake but yes, all automatic.

I have v short legs and it's ok for me but it's not the roomiest of cars - could you try sitting in one? That sounds weird but that's probably the best way to test for size

Pipbin Mon 03-Nov-14 21:28:57

I still say the Note, as I say 6ft 4 DH can be both a passenger and driver with comfort. The boot is massive too.

Dixiechicken Mon 10-Nov-14 23:12:44

Ford fiesta, we comfortably fit our family of 5 all over 8 yo in it. Nippy enough for faster roads and not too bad on fuel. Enough boot space for the weekly shop or a couple of suitcases for a weekend away.

Very reasonably priced, we picked up a top spec one less than 2 years old well within your budget.

goodasitgets Mon 10-Nov-14 23:18:02

I have a VW polo that I love grin
It's just a nice car, nothing miraculous, nothing that stands out as bad, just sort of get in and drive if that makes sense
Feels roomy inside too, pretty economical and I've done a few 500 mile round trips in it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now