Ford Focus Ecoboost - anyone got one/driven one?

(13 Posts)
Piffpaffpoff Fri 26-Sep-14 19:41:26

I'm looking at swapping cars and I like the look of a Ford Focus estate with the Ecoboost 1L engine but I can't help but feel it will be underpowered, especially in the estate version. I'm going for a test drive soon but in the meantime has anyone got any experience of one they'd like to share with me? If not an estate then just the hatchback version.

I really need an estate and this seems to fit the bill sizewise and budgetwise, I can't afford a VW golf and don't want an Astra.

WMittens Mon 29-Sep-14 15:55:14

I don't think it's likely to be underpowered; however, it sounds like there might be some serious reliability issues with the engine. If you get one keep the servicing up to date and it might be an idea to stick with Ford dealers for servicing (there's a chance of extra goodwill if the engine goes pop after the warranty period). In any case, run it with a warranty.

Piffpaffpoff Mon 29-Sep-14 19:18:50

Thanks *WMittens - I know it's a relatively new engine and I'm normally a bit dubious about buying something that's "unproven". I had discounted a Dacia Logan for this very reason (and also because it doesn't look very nice grin).

WMittens Tue 30-Sep-14 09:06:32

The Logan has been in production since about 2004, and the Renault engines they use have been made since the mid-90s.

LordEmsworth Tue 30-Sep-14 09:12:06

I have a Fiesta Ecoboost 1l, and I love it. It feels like driving a 1.4 at least, acceleration is great.

Not sure if I would go for it in a Focus, but if you are looking at Golfs then do you really need something as big as a Focus?

WMittens Tue 30-Sep-14 10:03:01

Focus and Golf are in the same size bracket, there's about 10cm difference in length confused

Piffpaffpoff Tue 30-Sep-14 12:40:44

Ah, I thought Dacia was a new brand, sorry. Suddenly every second car here appears to be a Duster!

LordEmsworth I'm looking at estates so they are about the same size. I did look at a skoda Fabia but it felt too small. Might go and look at an Octavia.

Basically, I want a car with roof rails as I carry bikes and skis a lot and want them on the roof - have roof bars permanently on my current car but I would like to be easily able to take them off when I'm not using them and this is much simpler to do with roof rails. So it's a totally ridiculous reason for needing an estate but the only other cars that seem to come with roof rails are 4x4s and they are generally too high for me to get the stuff up on the roof without the aid of a stepladder!

EarSlaps Fri 10-Oct-14 10:25:34

I was going to suggest a fabia, my sister loved hers and only sold it as you couldn't get three car seats in the back. They managed lots of family camping trips in theirs so it can't have been they small.
Similar vein, but are there and Seats that could work?

EarSlaps Fri 10-Oct-14 10:25:59

...any Seats that should be.

Piffpaffpoff Mon 17-Nov-14 13:21:01

I think a Fabia is definitely too small for me or, more correctly, for my very tall children who are just going to keep getting taller.

I'm now looking at an Astra estate, they seem to be a good couple of grand cheaper than a Focus which makes them quite attractive! But I have an irrational aversion to Vauxhalls that I need to get over. Anyone got any experience of recent Astras (61 onwards) that they'd care to share?

Piffpaffpoff Mon 17-Nov-14 15:21:57

I like Seats Earslaps but I only seem to find Ibiza estates in my mileage/price preference and they're pretty much the same size as a Fabia.

Peedie Mon 01-Dec-14 18:31:18

Just because I don't like to leave threads unfinished, I should report back to say I ended up with a Ford Focus estate - not an Ecoboost, just an ordinary one and I love it. Hooray!

Peedie Mon 01-Dec-14 18:32:06

Oops, name change fail ha ha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now