Would it be insanity to buy a white car?

(13 Posts)
madoldwoman Sat 20-Sep-14 07:41:05

Have finally decided on the car we want (thanks to everyone who helped on my last thread!) but am being drawn to having it in white. Is this madness? Will I just spend the whole time cleaning it?

Goldenlab Sat 20-Sep-14 07:50:41

Daughter has a white car. Bought from new. I have a black car, similar age. My car shows all the dust, rain splashes, dirt and has to go through the car wash every couple of weeks. The white car doesn't show the dirt in the same way at all. I don't think it's been washed for a couple of months, and looks dull, but not dirty. So I'd say if you love it, buy it!

Explored Sat 20-Sep-14 07:58:33

I don't think white is that bad from a cleaning POV actually, as Goldenlab says, dark colours are much harder to keep clean.

However, I haven't bought a white car since reading that they're much more likely to be involved in accidents because they're not very visible in poor conditions. No idea if it's true but it kind of makes sense IYSWIM.

Littlebluebutterflies Sat 20-Sep-14 08:02:59

White shows the scratches less. We've had cars in all colours and white is actually a really good option.

AngelinaCongleton Sat 20-Sep-14 08:04:16

Dunno about white. Silver is very forgiving. Black oddly is crap for scratches.

GloriousGloria Sat 20-Sep-14 08:09:21

Every other car is white these days.

For that reason alone I would not get a white car.

madoldwoman Sat 20-Sep-14 08:53:15

Thanks all - looks like I won't need to spend every weekend cleaning then! There are LOADS of white cars these days but the same could be said of silver and black, so that doesn't put me off. I've had silver before and it does hide a multitude of sins but I can't say I really love it.

Explored - that's interesting. I always thought black would be worst as such a dark colour just wouldn't stand out.

Explored Sat 20-Sep-14 12:40:52

Yes, you're probably right but what I read said white can't be seen well in fog, snow or rain.

madoldwoman Sun 21-Sep-14 09:00:08

That makes sense too.... maybe a neon orange car would be safest! grin

Sirzy Sun 21-Sep-14 09:02:01

I pick up a white car next week after always saying no to white. I am pleased to hear positive reviews.

My current car is black and does show every little scratch

WMittens Sun 21-Sep-14 13:55:02

Recession white? Almost as bad as Resale Silver.

I despair of our monochrome roads, why can't we have more blue, red, green, orange, yellow and purple cars? It makes journeys so much brighter.

wideboy26 Sat 25-Oct-14 02:18:16

My wife is currently on her 4th successive white car. She won't entertain any other colour due to a fear of being less visible in a dark colour. An increasing number of new cars have daytime running lights, so in time the colour of a car will have no bearing on its visibility. As the exclusive cleaner of her car, I can confirm that white shows the dirt far less than a dark colour. I have just bought my first ever red car and am pleasantly surprised to find that it hides the dirt really well.

AmyLabelle1 Fri 07-Nov-14 16:11:19

Hey girls I think that buying a car is such a hustle, I actually bought a new car last month and I just didn't want to ask myself all the usual questions, so I looked for an App but I found a quiz instead www.carfax.com/blog/find-your-inner-car/
It was really helpful you just answer 9 questions and based on your reply it tells you which car will be the perfect match for you. As for the colour I bought a white one so go for it girl, follow your heart smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now