If I like the Volvo XC90 but want better fuel consumption what should I look at?

(7 Posts)
jinglebellsarecoming Thu 27-Mar-14 13:31:20

As the title says - we are looking for a car, I love the Xc90 or possibly 60 but the fuel consumption is not great and my DH commutes in the car doing 50 miles per day.

We want something snow storm and flood proof, big enough for camping stuff, automatic, diesel, would love 7 seats but not essential. Budget not to important as company car but don't want to go too crazy.

Any ideas?

bigdog888 Thu 27-Mar-14 14:04:22

You're going to have to compromise somewhere I think!

fourlegstwolegs Mon 31-Mar-14 23:25:20

All the big 4x4s are low 30s or high 20s on MPG.
If you want better fuel economy you will need to buy an estate car instead...some do come with 4x4 though!

scarlettsmummy2 Mon 31-Mar-14 23:30:52

You aren't going to get better mpg unless you go for an estate or a people carrier. We have been there- swapped a toureg for a Chrysler grand voyager but wasn't really worth the marginally better fuel efficiency.

MillyMollyMama Tue 01-Apr-14 01:13:40

You will not get good fuel consumption with a big 4 x 4 but the Discovery is a better car than the Volvo for what you want it to do. Never puts a foot wrong in any conditions and we live up the top of a very steep narrow hill. Many estate cars with 4 x 4 will not have the hill descent control and terrain modes that the Discovery has so are not comparable. They will, however, have better MPG.

WMittens Tue 01-Apr-14 21:49:09

Hill descent control is an option on the XC70.

WMittens Tue 01-Apr-14 21:50:40

And the XC60 for that matt.er

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now