Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing the best new family cars on the market. Read our family car reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Which breakdown cover?

(3 Posts)
NichyNoo Sun 12-May-13 18:14:59

OK, so DH and I have one car and are hoping to buy another in the very near future (both need a car). We want to get breakdown cover for both cars eventually but obviously we only have one car at the moment so can't get a two-car policy.

Is it better to buy individual cover for each car or to get the cover for the person rather than the car (i.e. getting both DH and I covered regardless of what car we are in). I'd never really considered getting us covered as people rather than the cars. Does anyone have any advice as to what might be best please? I've never bought breakdown cover before so am clueless!

WMittens Sun 12-May-13 19:29:37

RAC or AA would be my preferences.

If your car won't start in a morning, can you get alternative transport in a pinch? Otherwise look for Home Start cover.

Cover for two people on one policy would be the cheapest option according to the AA site - £99 for one person, £144 for two people, or £101 for a single car (based on roadside recovery, home start and national onward travel cover).

CruelAndUnusualParenting Mon 13-May-13 16:29:39

I have no particular faith in the AA or the RAC. I'm an ex-member of the RAC and wouldn't go back.

We use GEM ( on a pay and reclaim policy, which covers both of us in any car about £75. They've been good when we needed help.

In the past I've used Green Flag and Britannia Rescue and I was happy with them as well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: