Advanced search

Will my car insurance cover this?

(4 Posts)
AlwaysReadyForABlether Tue 09-Apr-13 09:47:01

A couple of weeks ago my handbrake failed. Wear and tear just one of those things. I got it fixed and it wasn't too expensive .
But when it failed the car rolled down my drive which is on a slope. It stopped against the side of the house and there is now a scrape round the wheel arch of the driver side front wheel.
I haven't done anything about it because I can't afford to just now. But should my insurance cover it? I have only just thought of this but I'm not sure if it will?

CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 09-Apr-13 09:49:02

Hmm...did you alert your insurance when it happened?

AlwaysReadyForABlether Tue 09-Apr-13 09:53:17

No I didn't think to do that to be honest. I was more concerned with getting the handbrake fixed. And was just annoyed about the scrape.

WMittens Tue 09-Apr-13 12:29:52

I think it should be covered, but only a call to your insurer will tell you for sure.

Before you claim, how much is it likely to cost? (How big is the scrape?) What is your own damage excess? Do you have full no claims discount, and is it protected NCD?

If it's a £350 repair and you have a £250 excess, you will be out of pocket in the long run.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: