Petrol in a diesel car :( WWYD?

(34 Posts)
TartyMcFarty Sat 27-Aug-11 21:09:09

It would have to be the week when we're so broke that I had to put £10 worth in the tank to last until payday. So angry with self.

Anyway, it's been drained down, flushed through with additive and whatever, luckily at half the price the breakdown services were asking, but the mechanic has said that at some point, the injectors and pump might well need replacing (looking at £1.5k repairs if this happens). We seriously would not be able to afford this in one go. The car itself is worth about £3250 (private).

The mechanic thinks it will probably be ok, or that we might be able to get a whole new engine cheaper than that, but that would need some sort of clue about how to find said engine, then work to fit it.

Or, for peace of mind, my Dbro thinks I should get rid now. He would go for a private sale, but although the car stil literally holds its value, I would feel very uneasy about that in case it does develop problems. That said, I guess the private buyer pays a lower price and takes the risk.

The other alternative is to take it back to the dealership for part-ex, but then we would have to find the shortfall for something else. I would feel better about this because the next owner would be covered under warranty, whereas we're not. I do have a small amount of money put by, but we're TTC and I was saving it towards maternity leave.

So, we've got to have a reliable car, we can't afford to sell the one we've got for less than it's currently worth, but neither can we really afford to upgrade, either in cash or on a finance agreement.

Any advice please? sad and [stressed]

Eglu Sat 27-Aug-11 21:15:09

I think you are overworrying tbh. I think the mechanic has gone a bit overboard.

I have put petrol in my diesel car 3 times now. blush Stupid me or what. The first time was about 9 years ago and my car is still fine. It was quarter of a tank and I didn't have my car properly drained etc. like you. I just topped it up with diesel on the advice of my Dad and it was fine.

Bluebell99 Sat 27-Aug-11 21:15:50

My dh did that once, petrol in a diesel car. Was towed to garage and sorted out, and we didn't have any further problems with the car. Kept it for a good few years afterwards. Maybe get another mechanic opinion, how likely further problems are. Like I said, our car had no further problems.

BikeRunSki Sat 27-Aug-11 21:20:32

I have done this twice, in two cars, and drove both for several years with no problems afterwards. One was a VW Polo, one was an Audi A4. And I put in a full tank both times. Mil has the Polo now, still no probs, must be six years later.

TartyMcFarty Sat 27-Aug-11 21:22:25

Thank you. Problem is it's a certain type of engine ... '(something) line' grin so it couldn't just be syphoned out. What about yours?

worldgonecrazy Sat 27-Aug-11 21:23:46

Did you start the engine? If you didn't then you will definitely be fine - I speak from my mother's experience. This is a common occurence, one mechanic I knew used to earn his bread & butter by draining diesel tanks that had petrol put into them.

I've never had a car where I ran a diesel mixed with petrol, but Eglu seems to have been okay and I know that my diesel will run on just about anything.

malinois Sat 27-Aug-11 21:29:34

What is the car and exact model? Can ask my bro-in-law who is an engine builder.

TartyMcFarty Sat 27-Aug-11 21:31:34

Yup, drove 10 miles! It's a Peugeot 307 HDi.

QueenOfFeckingEverything Sat 27-Aug-11 21:34:37

I always thought diesels would run on either, and it was petrol in a diesel that was the big problem?

My elderly diesel seems to be able to run on anything tbh - incluing petrol and veg oil blush

Mrsfred Sat 27-Aug-11 21:38:38

Was it completely empty when you put the petrol in?

I put petrol in mine by mistake, but I knew the tank wasn't empty. The petrol sat on top of the diesel and never actually made it into the engine, even though I drove it home.

TartyMcFarty Sat 27-Aug-11 21:38:52

55 reg!

TartyMcFarty Sat 27-Aug-11 21:39:59

It was about 1/4 full. It knew about it but didn't conk out.

malinois Sat 27-Aug-11 21:45:08

queen - modern common rail diesels are a lot more sensitive to fuel contamination than older engines.

tarty - I have my BIL on chat now - just asking him about it.

TartyMcFarty Sat 27-Aug-11 21:45:54

Thank you so much.

QueenOfFeckingEverything Sat 27-Aug-11 21:46:06

Aha. Mine is nearly 20 years old - the thing just runs and runs... [touches wood]

malinois Sat 27-Aug-11 21:47:39

tarty is it the 1.6 or the 2 litre model?

Mrsfred Sat 27-Aug-11 21:48:51

I was told that diesel is heavier than petrol so the car would have used the diesel left in the tank first.

Maybe get a second opinion on the possible pump/injector replacements from the cars manufacturer rather than an independent garage?

CoffeeRevel Sat 27-Aug-11 21:50:03

DH says it should be fine - he has deliberately put petrol in my diesel car to help it in the winter (they do that in Scandinavia all the time). They also run on veg oil etc. Don't worry about it, even if it is a common rail diesel

Mrsfred Sat 27-Aug-11 21:51:02

... or wait until malinois gets an answer from her BIL first grin

TartyMcFarty Sat 27-Aug-11 21:51:58

1.6 and common rail was what I meant earlier!!

CoffeeRevel Sat 27-Aug-11 21:52:28

PS it was a small amount he put in deliberately, and only because my biodiesel was frozen!

TartyMcFarty Sat 27-Aug-11 21:53:49

The guy who fixed it was completely independent BTW. Mechanic by interest rather than trade, so not angling for future business!

TartyMcFarty Sat 27-Aug-11 21:54:35

My dad does that coffee!

QueenOfFeckingEverything Sat 27-Aug-11 21:55:29

Coffee - yep, we do that too!

malinois Sat 27-Aug-11 22:08:09

From my BIL:

"This is a Ford DLD416 engines, used in loads of shopping trolleys from Ford, Peugeot, Citroen, MINI, Mazda, Volvo etc. Bombproof, under-stressed mill and a few miles on petrol/diesel mix won't have done it any harm provided it was flushed properly. Try to put a hundred or so miles on it ASAP to make sure the seals in the pump and injectors don't have any residue on them. The problem isn't the petrol, it's the bioethanol in all petrol nowadays which rots the seals. The main thing with these lumps is they MUST be run on the right, lowSAP oil as the wrong oil will blow the turbo."

That help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now