Can you fit seats in the boot?

(12 Posts)
lalalonglegs Tue 23-Aug-11 14:37:44

We have a Xsara Picasso - it's fine when it's just the family but when we want to take out anyone extra, there is no extra seating. The boot is hatchback and really quite large, does anyone know if you can buy seats that fit (rear-facing) into the boots of these sorts of cars to create occasional seating?

shuckleberryfinn Tue 23-Aug-11 14:40:56

I don't think so. How would they secure? What about seatbelts? And your insurance?

AMumInScotland Tue 23-Aug-11 15:01:23

AFAIK there are no fittings in the boot to which you could attach a car seat, expect in cars where you actually have "tail-gunner" seats as part of the normal build.

Solo Tue 23-Aug-11 15:08:02

I don't think it'd be safe or legal and would almost certainly invalidate your insurance.
I have the same type of car and I wouldn't consider it.

lalalonglegs Tue 23-Aug-11 21:35:10

I was sure I had seen cars with rear facing seats in the boot - didn't realise that they were part of the car blush. I'm sure removable ones must be an invention waiting to happen...

slightlyoversharing Tue 23-Aug-11 21:37:49

I think (and I could be wrong and imagining this but hey ho) I think you used to be able to do it but they tightened up the regulations. If you were to do it the car would have to be inspected by some government car people to make sure that it passed standards?

Or did I make it all up?? I remember daft stuff that is of no use to man nor beast. Am off to google....

Solo Tue 23-Aug-11 23:22:40

Hmmm...I might ask my brother as he's an MOT man...if I can remember that is...

januaryjojo Fri 26-Aug-11 21:02:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

furtree Sat 27-Aug-11 00:15:23

januaryjojo wrote

So did the montego estate, think they were the first car do it. hmm??
----------------------------

Parents had a 1971 Volvo estate with seats like you describe.

mranchovy Sat 27-Aug-11 01:19:37

You can still get them in a Merc E-class, but not on any other new car in the UK AFAIK and have not been legal to fit 'after market' for a long time - the luggage space of most estate cars and hatchbacks is designed to crumple in a rear impact to protect the occupants of the rear seats, and sitting your LOs in a crumple zone is not considered good form.

januaryjojo Sat 27-Aug-11 18:06:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

furtree Sun 28-Aug-11 00:28:30

I know januaryjojo, I was just pointing it out, it is not something I expect many people know, it had a 3 speed autobox if your interested, no I will be worried if you were lol

I along with a friend got done for riding in the back of a pickup about 12 years ago. Was watching one of them police programs the other day were a load of police people were on their way to a raid in the back of a large boxvan and they were all stood up holding onto the side rails.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now