can anyone recommend their small car?

(49 Posts)
Mandyville Tue 16-Aug-11 21:28:03

I'm about to buy my first! Needs to fit two car seats in the back (easy to fit ones, fortunately - a Kiddy and a Maxi-Cosi infant seat). I want five doors, I think. Don't need to fit a big buggy in the boot, particularly... Do want something small as I can imagine I'm going to be spending a lot of time parking it (sigh...). Fuel efficiency would be nice. Safety is important, but I have no clear idea about you measure that for an older car (I'm thinking something maybe 5-7 years old).

Any thoughts, oh wise car-owners?

debivamp Wed 17-Aug-11 02:52:10

I would suggest any Japanese car - they hold their value far better than many cars - I have a nissan almeria, previously had a micra (but that might be too small for you). good luck in your search.

SofiaAmes Wed 17-Aug-11 06:11:52

I had a Hyundai Amica when the kids were both babies/toddlers and it was fantastic. Teensy but super spacious. 5 door. Don't know if they still do them.

HarrietJones Wed 17-Aug-11 09:24:16

Yaris. I can fit dd1( no seat) dd2 (booster) dd3( baby seat) plus a pram as well as 2 adults. Doing 50 mpg at 8 years old. Just replaced the first Tyres after 80000 miles. V reliable, v cheap to run

HarrietJones Wed 17-Aug-11 09:25:20

Very easy to park.

And features high in safety tests( so low insurance)

Sirzy Wed 17-Aug-11 09:25:51

I have a corsa and can fit 2 car seats in the back and a Mclaren in the boot (even if it does take most of the boot up!)

aliciaflorrick Wed 17-Aug-11 09:27:07

My VW Polo is nearly 17 years old, only time it's let me down was when I ran over a nail and it got a flat tyre on the drive. I have two car seats in the back and I cut fit a buggy in the boot (although nothing else).

It's economical too. I love it.

Mandyville Wed 17-Aug-11 09:29:17

Ooh, this is helpful! I am very attracted to a Yaris, I must admit.

I think I Micra IS too small. And probably a Corsa is a bit small too. They're all three doors only, aren't they?

Not heard of an Amica or thought of a Hyundai. Good call, SofiaAmes.

Keep 'em coming! Anyone got a Polo? I hear good things, but I don't know much about the slightly older ones...

Mandyville Wed 17-Aug-11 09:30:00

x-posts! Happy to hear a happy Polo owner!

Mandyville Wed 17-Aug-11 09:30:20

Anyone got a Seat Ibiza...?

MummyDoIt Wed 17-Aug-11 09:31:41

SIL had a Yaris and I was always amazed at how roomy it felt inside.

You can get five door Corsas. I'm driving one at the moment (courtesy car while mine is being fixed). It's lovely to drive and the carseats fit in easily enough but the boot seems very small to me.

mrswoodentop Wed 17-Aug-11 09:39:17

Really interested in this thread as we are swapping big car for a little runaround for me,thinking of a Suzuki swift

peggy0062 Wed 17-Aug-11 09:42:56

I have a Honda Jazz, it's more spacious than the Polo

Mandyville Wed 17-Aug-11 09:48:58

The Jazz looks good, peggy.

Just had a look for Swifts and there don't seem to be that many about - not around here, anyway.

hildathebuilder Wed 17-Aug-11 09:50:54

I also have a Jazz, its a tardis and very easy to park

Sirzy Wed 17-Aug-11 10:24:11

My corsa is 5 doors and actually strangely spacious inside!

Mandyville Wed 17-Aug-11 10:55:11

Thanks, Corsa people! Do you know if it has isofix, by the way?

KSal Wed 17-Aug-11 10:55:21

I love my Kia Cee'd - its pretty spacious inside, I'm 5'11" and can sit comfortably in the back as well as front (when the car seats aren't in!). The boot is nice and big - have done a week away with all the luggage, a small buggy and travel cot packed in the boot and in the back footwells. Also 7 year warranty that is transferrable. I have had it 3 years and it still has 4 years left on the warranty - result!

can fit a double buggy in the boot (nothing else though!!) or a bigh maclaren and a weeks shopping grin

CaptainNancy Wed 17-Aug-11 11:08:31

I had a skoda fabia for 7 years- it was fantastic. Never had any problems, very economical to run, was actually quite tough (could slam the doors without rattling grin). They're part of audi/vw group, so they aren't crappy cars, and have actually won loads of awards for best small car. More headroom in the back than in the micra, which we also considered, but DH had his head squished on the ceiling) Very easy to park.

The new Citroens have v good fuel economy too- 62 m.p.g, I believe (citroen 1 is the smalest, then 2, etc)

The honda Jazzes do look great- in fact they look identical on the outside to the mercedes-benz A class. I imagine they have better fuel economy than A class too (though A class has fantastic driving position, as you are high up- like being in a transit, but small and nippy)

I learnt to drive in a corsa, and had a new model 2 years ago whilst my fabia was being fixed (someone ran in the back of me)- lots of gadgets etc, but the fabia and the A class are a nicer drive.

Yaris verso great for interior space...

WHat type of buggy do you have? A big consideration for boot space!!

Mandyville Wed 17-Aug-11 11:15:04

That's a great idea Cap! And my mum has one, so I can even give it a go before I have to see a salesman!

My shortlist so far is Yaris, Jazz, Kia Picanto, Clio - but a Fabia must get a look in. Off to do my research!

I don't REALLY need to get a buggy in. I'm a slinger by preference... If it turned out that I would need one, I'd buy myself a second hand umbrella fold something-or-other.

Anyone got a Clio...?

Mandyville Wed 17-Aug-11 11:20:32

OK, a quick Fabia report back... Attractive, but not as NCAP safe as a Clio - which is roughly the same price.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Wed 17-Aug-11 11:20:37

I had a Felicia (the forerunner of the Fabia) for ages and it was fab.

Skodas are brill.

sazm Wed 17-Aug-11 11:21:11

i would go for a corsa if i was looking for a small car again,probably the 1.3 cdti, really cheap to run,tax and insure. i had 3 carseats in the back of my 3 door corsa,although i would go for a 5 door for easyness!

its also worth having a look at insurance quotes, for example - we had a look at a fiesta and corsa,both exact same age and spec.the fiesta was £500 a yr dearer to insure!!! hence we went for the corsa!

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Wed 17-Aug-11 11:22:21

Check the repair costs for a Clio. This is probably horribly out of date, but French cars have a rep for being pigs to fix (hence large garage bills).

memphis83 Wed 17-Aug-11 11:24:37

My FIL has a Seat Ibiza, its very cheap to run and its actually quite big inside, I had a 5 door fiesta that neer ever let me down, I would stay away from a clio personally, if they go wrong they cost a lot to fix, and renault have a history with bad electrics which is imprving witht he newer models.
go on Whatcar.co.uk the have independant reviews of every car and has a part that recommends cars of same size/economy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now