Want to trade in my old car, what would be the best way?

(4 Posts)
youarekidding Sat 06-Aug-11 20:04:51

I have a FORD KA, 1998 plate. It failed it's MOT and cost quite a bit for some welding. Now has a years MOT nd 6 months tax. It will probably keep needing this every year so I think it's time for a trade in.

I am wondering whether to - try and PX at a garage for a newer but old car on finance or whether to try and sell privately, probably for more and then using this to pay off the credit card bill from work and putting a small deposit on a newer car on finance.

Is it better to sell privately or trade in?
How many garages should I get a quote for my old car from?
How do I find out how much to accept PX as mininum? (car value is £345, garages are selling similar for £600-1000)
Should I insist on a years MOT and run a mile from anywhere that doesn't?
Is it worth paying the extra for a years warranty?
How can tell if the millage is an exact amount?

Are there any specific questions I should ask?

TIA

Goober Sat 06-Aug-11 20:08:43

Sell privately. Every time.
A garage will offer you £200 for your KA. You can get at least £800.

youarekidding Sat 06-Aug-11 20:13:30

Really that much privately?

Engine wise its great condition, drives very well, cheap insurance and tax, I would have accepted £400 privately. Should I start at £800 and how long should I leave it at this price before reducing. Bearing in mind I want rid in the next 6 months.

Thanks for the reply.

littlemoomin Sun 14-Aug-11 18:20:23

Selling it privately will give the best price, but it's time and hassle. Plus if you use a classified website you have to pay.

I'd try and get a px if possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now