Keeping a number plate when selling a car

(7 Posts)
MollieO Tue 26-Jul-11 23:12:58

If I want to keep the number plate I currently have I understand what I need to do as the DVLA website is very clear. What I have no clue about is how do I go about getting another registration for the car I am selling?

Meaning if my car currently has number plate ABC 123 which I want to keep, I need to get an alternative number plate with a different registration eg XYZ 456 for the car I'm selling.

What do I need to do or where should I look for info?

titihood Wed 27-Jul-11 18:57:45

I think the DVLA assign it a new one when you apply to put your current number plate on to a certificate/your new car.

SoupDragon Wed 27-Jul-11 18:59:31

Phone the DVLA and ask them?

I do now it isn't difficult as H did this when I sold the family car which had his private plate on.

SoupDragon Wed 27-Jul-11 18:59:56

Know. Not now. Sheesh

MollieO Wed 27-Jul-11 21:16:59

I'll call them and ask. I assume it is straightforward when you've bought a cherished plate separately as you've still got the plate the car came with, albeit not being used. In this case my car came with a number that I'd quite like to keep.

nocake Wed 27-Jul-11 21:28:54

They'll simply allocate a new plate to the car when you put the old plate on retention. The retention document then allows you to assign the plate to another car.

Info here.

MollieO Wed 27-Jul-11 22:59:09

Thank you! I wondered how my car would acquire another number plate if I kept the one I have. I should have read the website a bit closer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now