Is there a nice, high-spec car that is 4WD but not a Chelsea tractor?

(28 Posts)
bran Sun 10-Jul-11 21:34:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

partystress Sun 10-Jul-11 21:38:54

Subarus are just fab. Once bitten, you will never want anything else. Legacy if you want similar size to your A4, or Impreza if you want more A3 sized. Completely reliable workhorses that are lovely to drive and permanent 4WD.

bran Sun 10-Jul-11 21:49:35

Snorbs Sun 10-Jul-11 21:58:19

A friend has a Subaru Outback and absolutely loves it. Lots of room and doesn't get stuck on bad roads.

If you want something smaller, how about the Ford Kuga?

bran Sun 10-Jul-11 22:03:11

BikeRunSki Sun 10-Jul-11 22:05:23

Audi Quattro (based on A4 Estate I belive, but 4 x 4)
Skoda Octavia 4x4 - we have one, love it, may not be top end enough for you.

MrsJohnDeere Sun 10-Jul-11 22:11:50

We have a Subaru Legacy and had an Impreza until recently. The Impreza couldn't cope with bad weather at all (dh had a horrible accident in the bad weather in it) and was actually a very slow and sluggish car. Legacy is good in motorways and country roads but, IMHO, horrible for urban driving and hills. There's a huge lag between changing gear and anything actually happening. We're just debating what to replace it with at the moment. On the plus side it is considerably narrower than other estate which makes parking rather easier. Tbh, our tiny Fiat (non 4wd) copes far better with snow and ice on rural roads than the Subarus.

Blu Sun 10-Jul-11 22:13:25

And winter tyres,
Winter tyres are key.

Hulababy Sun 10-Jul-11 22:19:52

DH had a Golf R - that is 4wd and did exceptionally well in very heavy and deep snow this winter. Tis very fast too! But not economical.

bran Sun 10-Jul-11 22:31:04

pugsandseals Fri 15-Jul-11 14:01:19

Check out the Mitsi Outlander/ASX range. Great fuel consumption & record-breaking in the ice & snow (see youtube!)

bran Fri 15-Jul-11 17:43:41

Rocky12 Fri 15-Jul-11 18:01:24

No-one laugh please but have you looked at a Mini Countryman 4WD 4 door. Boot is as big as a Golf. I have had a BMW 3 series estate, a Honda CRV etc and whilst there was the very odd occasion where it was nice to have a large car in all honesty I didnt need the space and I have 2 boys and a big dog!

We often start to get into this 'well do you remember when we all fitted granny and grandad in the car along with the luggage for 5 etc' and then end up buying a car for the 1 occasion where we have that scenario!

trixymalixy Fri 15-Jul-11 18:05:33

What about the BMW X1 crossover, or an Audi A4 quattro?

trixymalixy Fri 15-Jul-11 18:07:34

Oh sorry, you said no Audis! Subaru 4x4?

fruitshootsandheaves Fri 15-Jul-11 18:13:21

We have a 4x4 Volvo. It's not the XC90 which is huge it's just the normal V70 but the AWD version. You can get the XC70 which we would have liked but we needed a 7 seat version so were a bit limited. The XC70 looks like a normal Volvo estate with 4 wheel drive option. Ours is permanent 4WD.

pugsandseals Fri 15-Jul-11 21:58:29

The Outlander would be far too big for me too - which is why I love the asx! Easier to park than my old 206 shock

Mytholmroyd Mon 18-Jul-11 22:04:58

Another vote for the Octavia Scout 4x4 - made by Volkswagen now? Jeremy Clarkson likes it too! wink

Ebb Mon 01-Aug-11 17:38:02

I would second the skoda Octavia 4x4 if you can get over the skoda 'prejudice'. Dp has one and he was the only person who got into work in the snow and he used to go via the country lanes to play in it! hmm

My ex boss had a suburu outback and never had a problem in the snow. Another ex boss had an audi quattro and it wasn't great.

MmeLindor. Mon 01-Aug-11 17:41:20

Skoda Octavia Scout. Absolutely loved it.

We had one for 4 weeks when we moved to Geneva, and I would have traded in my DH's 3-series BMW for it. I loved it. Really fab car.

LemonDifficult Mon 01-Aug-11 17:41:47

Have a look at Mercedes - they do a nice estate car that's 4x4 but doesn't look it IYKWIM

We had an Impreza but found it quite thirsty. It sounds as though you need something a bit bigger anyway.

We've got a Mitsubishi now. Love it. Very 4x4 though - people don't let you out in it cos they assume it's driven by a wanker...

MmeLindor. Mon 01-Aug-11 17:41:56

And don't worry about the Skoda badge - it is a VW in disguise. Think it is based on a Golf, will ask DH.

LadyDamerel Mon 01-Aug-11 18:17:35

Subaru Forester? It's a bit of a workhorse and not very pretty but it is fantastic in the Scottish highlands in winter.

mildertduck Wed 03-Aug-11 13:46:11

The Skoda Superb comes in a 4x4 version. We have the 170 DSG and it is one hell of a car. It parallel parks itself.

Simply put, it's an Audi with a different badge and a much lower price tag.

LackingNicknameInspiration Wed 31-Aug-11 17:57:34

We've had an A4 quattro from new since 2005 and love it - am currently refusing to get rid - it's been an absolute godsend the last two winters.

mildertduck's absolutely right though - you wouldn't know the difference between an Audi and a Skoda inside if it wasn't for the badge.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now