Talk

Advanced search

what car seats really fit the rear facing seats at the back of a merc e class estate?

(3 Posts)
mummykanga Wed 18-May-11 00:35:14

Not convinced the owner's manual - from 2005, same as the car - knows what it is talking about (says you don't need any additional seats after 4 yrs of age) and mercedes don't seem to clued up either - has anyone been through this? It's such a lovely car and would seem perfect for us, unless you need car seats on the back, but can't find any to fit (as the seats are small...designed for kids up to 150cm tall...)
help!

BertieBotts Wed 18-May-11 00:46:15

The laws changed in 2006, so it seems your car manual is likely to be out of date now. Can you get hold of an updated manual for the same car?

I would think legally you would need them, but there might be a loophole if the seats are designed specifically to accommodate children. In any case, almost all car seats are unable to be used in the opposite direction of travel to that which they are designed, because they haven't been crash tested that way. I know that the Kiddy car seats are an exception and can be used on backwards facing seats, because I have one and it says so in the manual, but that doesn't help you if your children weigh over 18kg (I don't know about the Kiddy seats which are also boosters, but the manuals are on the website if you want to check).

You could possibly get away with the booster cushion type seats, but then if the seats themselves are designed for children, perhaps the seatbelts are lower anyway, so the booster cushion would be pointless?

chcorr Tue 31-May-11 11:30:01

I have the same question. Did you find out if it is necessary to use a car seat in the rear facing seats? I have a 3 and 5 year old.
Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now