Mazda MX5 - when to replace this and what with!!

(21 Posts)
Saffra Mon 07-Feb-11 11:37:17

I'm currently 7.5 weeks pregnant and drive a Mazda MX5. If you drive one of these, then you'll know it's a bit of a bugger to get out of without being heavily pregnant!

I'm wondering whether I might need to replace it before I get to the heavily pg stage. Would I??? I do need it for work, but I only do 15 minute journeys these days.

And, not sure what cars to look at. I like 'fun' cars, not sensible ones, have about £9k-10k to spend.

DH is the main driver, so strictly speaking, wouldn't need TONS of room, as his car would be used for longer journeys.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Mon 07-Feb-11 11:46:33

I was about to say "Don't" but yes, I imagine getting in an out will get tricky when you get bigger.

I'd keep the MX-5 though and swap temporarily with DP until after the baby arrived. Although I'm not sure what the situation is with baby seats - if you can disable the airbag and whatnot. DS doesn't use a seat in mine because it didn't fit properly and it pushed him too far towards the airbag - but then he's 10 (and way above the legal height requirement).

If you have to replace your car, ermmmm, a Fiat 500 abarth? Too dear though I suppose. A Saab convertible?

Saffra Mon 07-Feb-11 12:50:19

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar - do you have an MX5??

Being my first baby, I have no idea whether it'd be impossible to drive the car or not when heavily pregnant. I imagine it would be uncomfortable at the least, what with those bucket type seats. I could temporarily swap with DH, that is one option if I did want to keep the car.

I *think^ you can get the airbags disabled, but what do you think about boot space? e.g. for buggy?

DH has mentioned a couple of different cars to me, and none really appeal. But, I guess practicality is a bit more important, hey!

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Mon 07-Feb-11 13:20:39

Yes, I have one. And wild horses couldn't drag it away from me!

Having said that I've had it for less than a year and ds is way past the baby stage. Boot space might be an issue, but I'm sure you can get pushchairs that fold up really small. Pram and a weeks shopping would be a problem. Although you could always use a sling! grin

I'd say finding a babyseat to fit would be harder work.

Have you looked on the MX-5 owners forums? I bet someone there will know more about the practicalities of carting a baby around in one.

Saffra Mon 07-Feb-11 14:46:33

Ha! Yes, I love mine too! GREAT for the summer - aaaah. Nothing beats it!

Checked out some of the forums, but couldn't find any definitive answers. My local MAZDA garage is going to call me back about car seats/airbags, etc.

But........I do fear that keeping it is not actually going to be the most sensible option, sadly.

As well as shopping, I do sometimes need to transport small boxes of things around (work) that currently go on the passenger seat when they don't fit in the boot. And then, there's the matter of the big dog! Realistically, when the time comes, I guess there will be more juggling of things to do, so there may well be instancs when I'm doing all these things at once!

Love the look of the MINI Countryman, but alas it's double my price range!

C0FFEE Mon 07-Feb-11 16:58:26

How about the Alfa Romeo Spider or is it Spyder, looked at one the other day, doors open wide, boot space is OK.

MollieO Mon 07-Feb-11 17:01:31

I've got a MX 5. Have had it since before Ds born and it was no problem. You can get car seats with a transponder so airbag isn't a problem and I had a choice of pushchairs which fitted in the boot, including a Quinny big three wheeler.

MollieO Mon 07-Feb-11 17:07:18

Depending how old your MX5 is you may have a key operated switch to disable the airbag. Mine is 2002 and didn't and Mazda stopped making car seats that fitted. Fortunately Mercedes had the same system so I got ds's current car seat from them. There is a light on the dashboard that shows the passenger airbag is turned off.

Saffra Mon 07-Feb-11 18:43:14

Waiting for my rubbish local Mazda garage to call me still!

Thanks COFFEE, will take a peek at the Alfa Romeo Spider. Never really heard much about this car before!

MollieO - how did you find driving the car when you were heavily pregnant?

Saffra Mon 07-Feb-11 18:46:37

Just taken a look at the Alfa Romeo Spider and it's only got 2 doors! I think I'd be substituting one impractical car for another one!

MollieO Mon 07-Feb-11 18:53:32

Didn't have a problem. In fact when I was six months pregnant someone had parked too close to the driver side so I had to open the door as much as I could, unclip the roof and climb in from the passenger side!

Obviously it isn't practical as a family car but is perfectly manageable as a mum and baby/child car. Ds loves it especially in the summer with the roof down.

C0FFEE Mon 07-Feb-11 19:42:55

I thought you were looking for a larger car not a practical car.

Let me suggest another car, the Alfa Romeo 156 or 159. My mother has a 156 estate, it is fast, comfortable, drives great, I know they have a crap reputation but in four years her car has never broken down.

I am seriously thinking of swapping my MR2 for her Alfa (I was going to buy a Range Rover but change my mind, well for today).

If you really like your Mazda do as someone suggested buy something ordinary while your pregnant then go back to your MR5.

Saffra Mon 07-Feb-11 20:06:14

Ideally, a more practical car (including more space) that'll still have some of the fun factor!

I think it might just be a bit small sadly for work purposes and having a baby. I'm self employed so imagine there would be times where I might need to transport both baby and work type things (boxes) at the same time.

But, at least it seems possible to keep it until late-ish pg in any case, then maybe switch to DH's comfortable car towards the very end if necessary.

Coffee, are you also swapping your MR2 for practical reasons?

Saffra Mon 07-Feb-11 20:10:48

Thanks MollieO! Goes to show, that roof isn't just about looking pretty!

C0FFEE Mon 07-Feb-11 21:08:31

Yes, see my post Alfa Romeo - Range Rover - Toyota Celica.

Something like a Toyota Celica would be ideal but what i have been told and read read the handling isn't great.

Alternatively I am looking at keeping the MR2 and buying something for the occasions I need a boot or a load space;. something cheap and that still might be a Range Rover.

Saffra Mon 07-Feb-11 22:07:35

Ah right, all different cars indeed. Well, hope you find something that suits. I definitely wouldn't be buying an additional car, it would be a replacement.

C0FFEE Mon 07-Feb-11 23:01:22

My common sense tells me I am being stupid considering two cars.

Saffra Tue 08-Feb-11 13:34:30

If you can afford to run two and there's space, why not? You can always sell it after a period of time if you find you barely use it.

Deep down, I know that with my lifestyle it'll be silly to not have something that's more practical.

C0FFEE Tue 08-Feb-11 16:36:24

Saffra that is what babies do to you, but my DD is now 9 so a two seater is fine as I have an excuse why I can not collect all her friends, but then there are times like going on holiday and trips to the garden centre.

Running two cars will not be any more expensive as running a large car full time, I think.

Alix81 Sat 05-Mar-11 09:05:03

We had an MX3 when we had our daughter.. that also got really difficult to drive... well the driving was comfey but it was getting out of the car that was the problem.

We sold it after our daughter was born and i really regret it.

If you can afford to keep 2 cars then go for it.

daisywendy Fri 21-Oct-11 21:12:19

Hi Saffra

What did you end up doing? I'm 14 weeks pregnant and trying to work out if I can keep my beloved MX5! we have an estate, but my husband won't drive the MX5 so swapping in late pregnancy won't be an option!

Wendy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now