Eek! HJust found out we're expecting twins so now we will need a car for 4 kids plus double buggy. Any recommendations?

(14 Posts)
Jojay Mon 31-Jan-11 22:28:54

Plus space for DH and I of course wink

My concern is that many 7 seater models have teh back seats in the boot.

How do I fit the buggy in then?

Also, we looking at spending around £2-3k - DH trained as a mechanic and so thinks that newer cars are a waste of money............

amistillsexy Mon 31-Jan-11 23:26:10

We have a Hyundai traget, which has quite alot of boot space behind the back seats, IYSWIM. Also, we've removed one of the back seats so we have extra space there, and our oldest enjoys sitting 'on his own' in the back seat.
It's also possible to remove the middle seat in the middle row, which leaves a sort of 'gangway' down the middle, which would fit a double buggy if it were an umbrella fold one.
Have you thought of doing away with the double buggy and using a single and a sling? I did this with Ds2 and 3, who were really close in age so I had a 14 month old in the puschair and a baby in the sling.

fourunderfour Thu 24-Feb-11 00:56:00

We've got two sets of twins so had the same dilemma.

Most 7 seaters (even the expensive ones) have minimal boot space if they're carrying 6+ so no good if you've got double buggies to cart around.

Our solution was to buy one of these. Expensive, but will go in pretty much anything - e.g. ours will go in a Mk1 Fiat Punto, which isn't everyone's idea of a 6 seater MPV.

Best combination we've found is the multimac in a Fiat Doblo - which is basically a van so has enormous boot space.

Fosty Sun 01-May-11 11:16:51

Could someone with an emmuljunga twin nitro buggy let me know what kind of car they drive. We are finding it hard to find something this buggy will fit into easily. Need to store the buggy in car overnight so also need it to be covered out of sight. Thanks.

nimbs Thu 09-Jun-11 16:06:01

We have a citroen c8 as we were in exactly the same situation as you -

we found that boot space is a real issue with most MPV's, but with one of the back seats removed - so seats 6 has a large enough boot space for our out n about double, our dog and more!! Has electric sliding doors which was very handy when carrying two babies around too! And parking sensors too - which have been invaluable. All six seats are full size so can fit three large car seats in the middle - the downside being that they don't fold down into the car so you have to store the 'spare' seat.

We're looking for something slightly smaller now as we no longer use the buggy as often - as our DT's are now 2 1/2 - but it has served us well.

Good luck with rest of your pregnancy.

nimbs Thu 09-Jun-11 16:07:38

have a look on here too: lots of info

www.7-seater-cars.co.uk/index.php

UntamedShrew Thu 09-Jun-11 16:11:45

Just wanted to say congratulations! Twins are fantastic.

We've done it the other way around, got twins out of the way first but now looking for a new car to accommodate the next baby I'm expecting. Just one this time smile

We have had a mountain buggy double which is fantastic IF like us you walk most places. We have a 2nd pushchair which is crap but folds up really small and was very cheap. We can't get the M Buggy in our car, but drive so rarely that this wasn't a problem for us.

We are looking at a Land Rover as the next car, can't remember the name but it's the one that looks like a big box on wheels. There is a Kia that lots of my twin mums recommend (I think the 4-kids lot all have it), I'll try to find out for you.

PssstOverHere Tue 21-Jun-11 19:50:15

A friend has 4 and she has a Zafira, a 2005 model, so probably be able to find one in your price range. She has 3 across the back seat, then a 4th on one of the boot seats, the other boot seat folded away so that is where the double buggy goes.
The advantage with the Zafira is that it is a popular car so there are plenty around and you can pick them up for a reasonable price compared to lots of the other 7 seaters.

anonandlikeit Tue 21-Jun-11 19:54:52

we have a zafira and our sons wheelchair fits easily in the boot even with all 7 seats up. The boot spaces look small but take your double buggy with you & try before you buy, you may be surprised.

movingsoon Wed 22-Jun-11 17:53:59

I had a grand c4 Picasso and I use to put one of my dd in boot and put my other dd and friends two in the middle row we the put her buggy next to child in boot with a different buggy could of put both mine in boot.

happyland Wed 22-Jun-11 18:00:05

Volvo XC90 - fabulous, but tricky in that price range.

Indith Wed 22-Jun-11 18:06:11

Someone has mentioned the Zafira. I have one and I would not use it witht he back row of seats as a permanent solution, the crash test results for people in those seats are hideous. For use as an every day car you need to make sure you get one of the larger ones which have boot space behind the back seats for safety as well as for double buggy storage.

SybilBeddows Wed 22-Jun-11 18:07:38

Mitsubishi Grandis. Doesn't drive particularly nicely but oodles of space - no problem fitting double buggy plus shopping behind the 3rd row of seats.

sb6699 Wed 22-Jun-11 18:55:51

Twins - how exciting grin

I have a Kia Sedona, you would probably get one for £3K. I paid just over that for my 55 plate on ebay and it had only done 44K miles and had a full history.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now