Talk

Advanced search

Please help - What car with 3 young children?

(8 Posts)
LaKaJa Sun 21-Nov-10 20:46:09

Hi there,

I'm new to Mumsnet and joined after reading some amazingly helpful threads on the subject: what cars comfortably fit 3 child seats?

With a baby on the way next summer (brother and sister will be 5 and 3) we have to accept our beloved Merc A-Class is going to be too small. But do we really have to drive a 7-seater SUV? Does anybody have one of the roomier MPVs and what's your experience? If you went through the same and ended up buying a much bigger car, are you happy with it?

Whatever you drive, your ideas are really valuable to me.

Thanks

Lx

BikeRunSki Sun 21-Nov-10 20:50:30

My friend with 3 under 18 months has a Citroen Piccaso. Fits her three, but she's had a lot of problems with it, but suspect it is a Friday afternoon car.

My boss also had 3 under 2, and had a Peugeot 406 (i think) estate, which seemed OK.

Lastyearsmodel Sun 21-Nov-10 21:03:58

Depends how much luggage you want to get in as well as the DCs. We have a Galaxy and love it. Not glamorous but reliable, fairly cheap to run and fix and fits lots of people and bags. We have 3 DCs and are campers, but haven't yet tried getting everyone/thing in at once.

blametheparents Sun 21-Nov-10 21:05:22

We have had our SMax for about 6 months now and I LOVE it!

DanceInTheDark Sun 21-Nov-10 21:11:46

Peugeot 307 SW or Volvo V70 have served us well with our 3 different carseat needs and needing a largeish luggage space.

sethstarkaddersmum Sun 21-Nov-10 21:19:40

Mitsubishi Grandis, children aged 1, 3 and 5.
Like it v much, huge boot. but drives like a van.
If space is important to you (eg if you go camping) it's excellent;
LOL - dh just said 'tell her you can get a Phil & Teds behind the third row of seats'; 'tell her we fitted in 4 children and full camping kit and an inflatable canoe' and 'everything works, no minor niggles'. Good value compared with Zafira too.
but you wouldn't buy it for its driving qualities if that is important to you.

LaKaJa Sat 27-Nov-10 21:03:31

Thanks ladies (and your DH, sethstarkaddersmum!) for all your help. I hadn't heard of Grandis. I've spent a busy week sitting in Zafira's, Picassos and Versos. Has anybody had any trouble of blind spots from the corner pillars on any of your cars? I am paranoid about that.

Thanks

lx

thisisyesterday Sat 27-Nov-10 21:08:52

we have a volvo V70 and can fit 3 car seats across the back (pics on my profile i think)

has a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge boot which is fab. when we go camping we can fit everyth9ing we need in the boot

i'd have been happy with an MPV, but dp really didn't want one so we got the volvo and i am really, really pleased wiht it.
it's very fuel efficient, nice to drive (once you get used to the length) and it has FIVE cupholders!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now