Talk

Advanced search

An Impractical Car?

(6 Posts)
gailst Wed 10-Nov-10 12:13:38

We've just moved out of central London and discovered we will probably need a car, we're expecting DD in December, and have bought all the kit (including Quinny Buzz and Maxi Cosi car seat which goes with it) now I need a car to fit it in.

I really really want something with character like a Mini or a Beetle (have always owned classics like 2CVs and so on until now) but is this totally foolish? I know 3 door will be difficult but will it be impossible.

What about ISOFIX... anyone got any opinion on these things - everyone I hear talks about selling their mini / beetle because of new baby, not buying one! Am I crazy?

notasausage Wed 10-Nov-10 19:38:41

You won't fit a quinny buzz in the boot of one of these easily. I had a Peugeot 307 and it filled the boot in that with just room for a holdall at one end if going away. I have just upgraded to the Peugeot 3008 which is a lot bigger. You will not imagine the stuff you will need to take if going anywhere longer than a few hours, even if it's just overnight, you still need almost the same amount of stuff as if you were going for a week. Then there's the day to day stuff like where to put your shopping.

I really think you will find fitting a car seat in a 3 door car a complete pain. Take the seat and pushchair with you to the car showroom. Put something around 20lb in the seat and then try getting it in the back and fitting it (babies don't stay 7lb for ever!). If someone could scream loudly in your ear while you're at it so much the better.

If you're set on a mini or beetle I would get the ISOFIX as I would think it will make fitting it a lot easier. I will get one if we have another baby as I was constantly in and out of the car with the baby seat and although I got pretty quick at it, the seatbelt was still a faff.

ANTagony Wed 10-Nov-10 19:44:52

You can get a base that fixes with a seatbelt that you then click your car seat onto. I think that there is a maxicosi one for the later maxicosi seats.

If you are set on a classic style car and you only want use of the front seats with the baby having the whole back seat for accessories you could probably fit your folded buzz alongside the car seat - it'd be worth buying wheel bags for covering those to protect your seats before the baby goes in.

After the first 9ish months a three door is easier when they move to a forward facing seat - but you'll still be bending in to fix a five point harness, also you don't have to worry about childlocks etc.

If you're thinking of having more than one child medium term I don't think that a three door would be that practical.

geordieminx Wed 10-Nov-10 19:47:52

The boot on a mini is so so so tiny. I really wouldn't. You'd struggle to get a weeks shopping in there never mind anything else. Not sure about the boot in a beetle.

gailst Wed 10-Nov-10 20:25:59

Thanks everyone, sounds like I am being a bit silly... any ideas on the Chrysler PT Cruiser - a bit more sensible (even if it is a bit of a marmite love it or hate it car!)

geordieminx Wed 10-Nov-10 20:33:08

Aunt has one. She has had nothing but hassle from it. Would never buy an American car. Sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now