Advanced search

PILS are elderly and will need various help, any advice? Where do I start?

(9 Posts)
WideWebWitch Tue 23-Sep-08 12:33:20

OMG, this topic is a whole new scary world, I've never looked in here before, there are loads of us! I hope no-one minds, I've posted this in other subjects but someone suggested this topic might have people who know more about it.

MIL and FIL are very likely moving to be nearer to us soon.

She can't walk and has a hoist and other equipment. Where do I start with who to speak to to get help for them?

The Council?
Age concern?

How do I arrange meals on wheels? Do meals on wheels even exist any more?
What about home helps? Do they exist? How do I get them one?

What about respite care for FIL?

I have no idea where to start and am feeling quite panicky about it all. TIA for any advice.

I've just looked online and have found:

an elderly concern person at dr surgery, will call them tomorrow
contact no for social services
help the aged advice line

But there's no ONE place it seems where you can find out all you need to know. Or is there? TIA.

squeaver Tue 23-Sep-08 13:25:03

Don't know if I can be much help www but based on my parents' experience of caring for older/disabled relatives, I would say the GP is the first place to start. They seem to be able to make the referrals to social services and the like. Yes Meals on Wheels does still seem to be around!

Mind you, this was in Scotland so may be different elsewhere. I would have thought Age Concern would be a useful resource.

Good luck with it.

inkdrops Tue 23-Sep-08 14:18:31

GP will refer them to social services, who will then come out to see and assess them. Meals on wheels does still exist, but is now under a different name - this will be organised by the social worker assigned to your PIL.

Their social worker will also give any other advice and details of other services available in your area.

Whether these are free or not will depend on their financial situation

WideWebWitch Tue 23-Sep-08 14:26:07

Thank you very much both, I will contact the GP surgery, there does seem to be a co ordinator there looking at their website.

ckc Tue 23-Sep-08 20:44:20

hi love i work for social services which is called adult social care now as a supervisor who sends the girls out to do the care, you can ring the call center and put a referral in for a social worker and they usually if you get a good one will help you with where you go, the move and getting the community support assistants in now the number i have at work i don't know if its a central number or not but if you let me know your area i will see if they have number tomorrow for you to contact..X

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 07:25:44

Thank you ckc, you can email me at wickedwaterwitch a t g ma i l d o t c o m

I really appreciate it.

ckc Wed 24-Sep-08 21:03:05

hi www didn't check reply last night so didn't get it but asked my manager she said where you live put at beginning of the council website so i live in leeds so it's that will put you on the council website you can get number off there it's called the one stop shop but on the website it gives you all the info you need about getting help, any probs just ask i will try help X

lavenderbongo Wed 24-Sep-08 21:06:17

Age Concern are excellent and can probably connect you to everyone you need to speak too. My Grandparents have been having lots of problems as they get older and age concern have been brilliant.

Missytrouble Wed 24-Sep-08 23:17:01

Are they receiving services where they live now? If so, you need to contact the care co ordinator allocated to them and they will arrange a service transfer.

I'm just assuming that they do have services with your mil having mobility problems.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: