Talk

Advanced search

Supporting cushions for mears' elderly Dad

(13 Posts)
mears Sat 23-Aug-08 10:00:39

Does anyone out there know where I could get varying sizes of cushions that could be used to stop Dad lilting to the side when he is a chair? He starts off straightish but slips to one side and isn't able to correct his position (91 yrs old with Alzheimers)? We use a pillow just now but it is too bulky.

Also are there any soft arm extensions that can be attached to the wheelchair arms so his arms are supported? Have only seen a typf f cushion that covers the seat too but he would have no room for that.

chelsygirl Sat 23-Aug-08 10:04:08

mears, hi!

does your dad have a social worker, or is he part of an older people team? I'd ask them to supply this. Failing that the OT dept. of your health centre, ot your GP.

if all else fails, some chemists do a lot of aids, they might be able to advise you.

good luck!

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 23-Aug-08 10:04:48

something like this, mears?

mears Sat 23-Aug-08 10:10:59

Thanks for responses. We have V shaped pillows for when he is bed but it doesn't work well with the chair. I think I need sort of smaller sausage shaped ones.

Have asked for advice from district nurses and OT. Don't seem to be able to help which is unbelievable.

Am looking after dad today and it annoys me that we cann keep him in a well supported position comfortably.

The physio who comes to see him (over and above his actual job) has written to the OTs to have wheelchair assessed. Although he only got it recently it seems to narrow and therefore his arms do not get supported well.

His hip is tilted which makes the rest of him go to the side. He is straighter in the wheelchair but doesn't look comfortable. The electic recliner chair is basically too wide for him.

chelsygirl Sat 23-Aug-08 11:07:47

oh, trust me I believe you!

I help my mum who is 81, I deal with everything for her and I know the help that is out there hmm

just a thought, I've seen some squishy sausage shaped cushions which I think are sold as travel pillows for kids, they are about £10 and are really squashy and comfy. I htink places like asda or woolworths might do them they might even be made by JML, altho this could be rubbish! Thet are comfy and I think would be able to give your dad support too.

will keep thinking, do you have any shops that sell the foam that goes in cushions? They can cut the foam to suit the size you want, might be worth checking out if you can.

mears Sat 23-Aug-08 14:37:32

thanks chelsygirl - good idea.

CaptainKarvol Sat 23-Aug-08 14:50:38

Our local covered market does the foam cutting thing, so it's worth looking in places like that, too. Or there are things like this available?

ChairmanMiao Sat 23-Aug-08 14:53:15

can you roll up blankets and shove them into a pillow case?
or what about a cot duvet (rolled up)?

deanychip Sat 23-Aug-08 14:53:34

YES mears, squashy cushions like the ones that chesygirl describes are very good. Think Ikea is the other place that do them.

Good luck x

ChairmanMiao Sat 23-Aug-08 14:56:45

Can you put more support under the tilted hip?

ChairmanMiao Sat 23-Aug-08 14:59:42

From help the aged shop

3littlefrogs Sat 23-Aug-08 15:10:19

Several catalogues (eg DAMART)- and maybe argos, do an eggcrate mattress topper for about £20 for the single size. You could cut pieces to an appropriate size. I got one for my mum who has severe osteoporosis and is in constant pain - she found it helpful. Also, the texture is soft but non-slip. Otherwise those gel type cushions ar good, but can be a bit slippery if you are using them on a slope - IYSWIM.If your dad is disabled you shouldn't have to pay VAT.

poshtottie Sat 23-Aug-08 15:26:13

How about a yoga bolster? Can be found on the yogamad.com website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now