Advanced search

attendance allowance-anyone got any experience of it?

(17 Posts)
themildmanneredjanitor Fri 22-Jun-07 09:32:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

themildmanneredjanitor Fri 22-Jun-07 09:45:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

themildmanneredjanitor Fri 22-Jun-07 12:04:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Oblomov Fri 22-Jun-07 12:16:45

I thought it had changed its name. I thought it changed form Attendance Allowance to Diability Living Allowance - am I wrong - does AA still exist ?

themildmanneredjanitor Fri 22-Jun-07 13:06:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

laloop Fri 22-Jun-07 13:07:15

MMMJ, I would definitely recommend contacting your local CAB office to get help with filling in the AA forms as benefits advice and support comes under their remit. The forms are very lengthy and probably put some people off applying for a benefit that they may be entitled to.

themildmanneredjanitor Fri 22-Jun-07 13:10:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

themildmanneredjanitor Fri 22-Jun-07 13:13:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Oblomov Fri 22-Jun-07 13:19:03

I am making an assumption here, but like DLA, they normally take ages, to be processed, but once agreed, it is always backdated to when application received.

themildmanneredjanitor Fri 22-Jun-07 13:21:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

laloop Fri 22-Jun-07 13:26:12

TMMJ, have to head out on school run now but here's some quick advice from my experience. I've filled in AA forms in the past, at work and for family members too. Takes a while to hear back, think it was normally a month or so. Not sure if anyone I helped to apply ever got called for a medical by the AA office, but I suppose they may follow up occassional cases. A good report from a supporting GP or SW, there's a space on the form for this ,is hopefully sufficient for most successful applications if the criteria is met.

Important points to consider are that info on th the form concentrates on personal care and support (eg washing, dressing etc and this can range from supervision to needing actual hands-on help). Some people write too much about the practical support that they need eg fire-lighting and help with meals, this is not as relevant as the personal care needs. Encourage the person applying to be honest about their needs, some people tend to downplay the support that they would actually need if it were available to them at home either from a family member or from social services. Eg if someone has a history of falls at home, they can highlight that they would be safer if someone was supervising them getting out of bed, washing etc. HTH

laloop Fri 22-Jun-07 13:27:44

Maybe phone local Help the Aged or Age Concern to see about volunteer drivers?

themildmanneredjanitor Fri 22-Jun-07 13:29:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FeelingOld Fri 22-Jun-07 13:34:56

My mum has just been given attendence allowance as she is registered as partially sighted. She can not do everyday tasks such as cooking, ironing, cleaning, go out alone etc so therefore needs help with all of these things.
We contacted age concern who sent some one out to fill all of the forms in for us, they know exactly what to put on such forms. Cos my mum is certified as partially sighted she did not need to send any other info but we are now applying for my dad who has parkinsons and diabetes, his doctor has to fill a form in and send it back to relevent office (not an actual medical.)
My mum's application took about 4 weeks from start to finish and she got the money back dated from date forms were filled in and is now paid 4 weekly, my dad's however has taken 5 weeks so far cos doctor has still not completed the form.

RubyRioja Fri 22-Jun-07 13:38:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

laloop Fri 22-Jun-07 15:23:30

Back home again now! Remembered another couple of points which may be useful. Wanted to add that there are two rates - lower one for someone who would benefit from support during the day and a higher rate for those whose needs indicate day time and night time help would be beneficial. Also, if a person is turned down completely for AA or given a rate they don't agree is appropriate, they have the right to reapply/appeal. CAB or organisations such as Age Concern should be able to help with this. Also if a person is on the lower rate and then their care needs increase, they should inform the AA office so that their claim can be reassessed to see if they can start to claim the higher rate.

There was also a six month qualifying period when I last filled in AA forms (don't know if this is still the case as haven't seen recent forms plus I'm in NI so don't know if rules differ here). If so, then the person needs to have required the support for at least 6 months before they are deemed to meet the criteria for entitlement. IIRC, there is a space asking about how long someone has needed support. So the applicant needs to think back to when they first started having difficulty with daily living tasks and record this date in the relevant space on the form i.e. not just put down the date that they required help from as the same as the date they are actually filling in the form and signing it.

fostermum Fri 22-Jun-07 20:48:44

hi i get AA for looking after my dad,i cant claim for looking after mum too as you can only apply for one person, we just filled out the forms and got the g,p to sign them and it took about 3 weeks to sort out, trouble is they deduct what i get for AA from my income support so im no better off

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: