Talk

Advanced search

Motability car potential write off

(3 Posts)
Jaal0210 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:51:10

Hi all. My son has 4 different disabilities and as such gets dla which has enabled us to have a Motability Car. This evening the car was hit by a drunk driver outside our house (insured thankfully) and is an obvious write off. The problem I foresee is as of in 2 weeks my sons dla award will have less than a year until renewal and you can only get a motability car if you have more than a year left. Would this mean we wouldn’t be entitled to another car as the insurance said the process can take up to a month. I’m panicking because the car is our lifeline and we cannot afford one without motability help. I have only been driving a year so the insurance alone would be around £2000 a year let alone the cost of buying a car etc.
Has anyone had to deal with this issue?
Thank you all in advance.
Kate

JellyTipisthebest Thu 14-Jun-18 07:17:57

Phone them asap. my sil wrote of her car and it was a nightmare. She had to pay for the car again. The insurance is so that motabiliy are not out of pocket not you. Hope its a better deal for you as you wernt in the car. she was driving and had a blow out also a new ish driver

MuffinMad Thu 14-Jun-18 10:41:04

I can't see motability leaving you carless, even if you only have 1 year left on the DLA claim.
If the car is a right off, they will not leave you without a car.

I have dealt with motability many times and have found them to be the most pleasant people to deal with.

Give them a ring. I don't think you have anything to be worried about.

Hope it goes well for you. 🙂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: