Talk

Advanced search

Where would be a good place to look for homecare

(9 Posts)
FlourishingMrs Sun 19-Feb-17 15:47:24

Hi Everyone, where would you look for care for anelderly person who wants to stay living in their own home but needs help with washing and dressing, medication reminders etc

Astro55 Sun 19-Feb-17 15:51:22

My sister owes this for private clients - she's paid minimum wage - but no agency fees

She will spend the full hour with the person and often shops for them beforehand - cooks puts a wash on - takes the dog for walks or has them if they are in hospital etc

Plenty of mums at home who want a few hours work

NannyR Sun 19-Feb-17 16:01:14

My great uncle had carers come in to help with stuff like that, I think he had four visits a day - they helped him get up and dressed and sorted out breakfast, heated up his lunch (that we got delivered from the meals on wheels service), made him a sandwich at teatime then helped him get ready for bed.
We went through the council (I think, it could have been a social worker though), he was assessed to see what his needs were, then the actual carers came from a private agency. He got the first few weeks for free then he paid a weekly rate to the council.

AlexaAmbidextra Wed 14-Feb-18 01:13:39

I wish you luck. I've been trying to find carers for my dad since Christmas and not one agency in our area has any carers available. I'm getting desperate.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Thu 15-Feb-18 18:33:53

There should be a few domicillary agencies in your area have you tried them?

Skedaddled Thu 15-Feb-18 18:46:04

If you contact your local social work department they will have lists of the relevant agencies. Also in scotland (not sure if england is different) you can ask SW to do a care needs assessment, as you are entitled to nursing or personal care at home. You can choose to receive funding paid and arrange your own support or SW will arrange carers on your behalf.

PinkBuffalo Sat 17-Feb-18 23:05:55

You could also contact Age UK who can guide you on things like this. I haven't used them myself, but might be worth contacting them.

iloveroastpotatoes Mon 09-Apr-18 13:55:51

My local GP surgery had a care coordinator who very kindly sent names and numbers of agency and private carers in the area. Perhaps a call to your GP surgery could be useful? X

pmcjohnson Wed 30-May-18 20:17:40

My mother needed to find a carer for her mum, she used a conpany called www.carechooser.com to find a carer. It was a bit like Airbnb or Uber where you choose a carer. Think she said they were slightly cheaper and you get the same one too because they’re self-employed carers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: