Talk

Advanced search

Job centre appointments

(2 Posts)
peepee19 Mon 23-Jan-17 15:02:12

Hi all I just wanted a bit of advice on the job centre & appointments.

I am a full time carer for my mum who I live with & I also have a 1 year old son. The job centre keep making me go to these appointments every few weeks to talk about going back to work. Iv explained I am not in a position at the moment to go back, my son has never slept thru all night & I am up with him at least 6 times each night, but that is sort of besides the point. Anyway I have to take my disabled mum to these appointments & my 1 year old which is really hard getting them both ready & dragging them out to make sure I get there in time!

I have been told that these appointments are mandatory & I will be sanctioned if I do not attend! The advisor who I had the appointment with has said I will not be made to look for work until my child starts school so I don't understand why I have to go? My mum isn't good most day & there isn't anyone who I could get to look after her while I go to these appointments or my son as I am a lone parent.

I just wondered if anyone else has been made to do this & is there anywhere I can turn to for help? I'd like to make a complaint to the DWP but I just do not know how to go about it & if it would change anything.

Thanks in advance x

Jesuswepthelpmeadvise Fri 10-Feb-17 17:12:15

Are you getting carers allowance because you're caring for your mum?
AFAIK, the appointments at the job centre tend to be much less frequent if you're receiving carers allowance because they recognise your time is taken up with caring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now