Advanced search

Carer for Two - Work and Money issues

(2 Posts)
Unicorn34 Tue 03-Jan-17 12:48:31

A quick description - my DH has ongoing MH and back pain, so since retiring has not been working (is on private pension as only 53, which is half of his last salary). My DD also has MH issues and is home schooled (via online school supported by secondary school) - just coming up for GCSEs. She and my DH suffer from depression and anxiety.

The question here is..... I work FT as I am the main breadwinner but am finding it harder and harder to keep my head above the water. My own stress levels are very high (I was signed off for 2 weeks before Xmas as I was tearful and anxious myself), but I cannot afford to drop my hours as then I would not be able to cope financially - catch 22 situation.

Does anyone have any ideas (if they have done this successfully) of how I can drop my hours and be able to claim benefits to then bump my salary up to where I am now? Or even another way of getting some money into the pot to top it up myself? I know this is a tall order, and other than selling myself (don't think I'd get enough money anyway - would probably end up paying them!), I will need to stay working FT for now, but am at a point where I am sitting at work and just want to cry.

When I am at home, I am the main carer for both my DH and DD which is so tiring. I don't have any support to speak of, and feel like there is no light at the end of the tunnel. The family do try to help out, but they are both dictated to by their moods and emotions, and I totally understand this (having been living this for the last 3 years).

Unfortunately I am not in the professional job bracket, at the moment I am a coordinator and get paid a fairly good wage for this. I really cannot see a way out at the moment.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give.

user1471537877 Sat 07-Jan-17 22:57:44

First things first do you claim dla for your daughter or pip for your husband?

If your daughter has an award for dla at med or high level you could claim carers allowance if you earn below a certain amount per week, I think it's about £104 currently

You can only claim carers allowance for one person but would probably be eligible for family tax benefits etc if your main income becomes low enough by dropping yours hours

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: