Advanced search

Carers allowance and working plse need advise

(10 Posts)
petshopboy Thu 06-Oct-16 16:15:20

Hi i need some advise i look after my dad mild dementia pt im receiving income support carers allowance and housing benefit .my housing benefit and council tax have been reduced massively as my son works so i only get £20 hb and £10 ct its a massive headache everytime my son earns more money or changes jobs as i have to notify my useless council who miscalculate it and don't reply back for weeks to tell me what my new rent will be its a nightmere they got me in debt before £3000;( cos they miscalculated .its so stressful i feel like going to work /coming off all benefits they can stick them were the sun dont shine but its not that simple .i can only do low paid job and would have to be part time less then 5 per day .im thinking of either seeing if i can keep my ca £62 pw and getting cash in hand job to make up the £110 im allowed or just give up the ca and do part time hoping that i will have enough to live on .i dont know what to do as i still want to look after my dad but obviuolsy need to pay bills etc are you allowed to come off benefits but stay on carers and tell them your making your money else were i dont know the legalities ??

TwatbadgingCuntfuckery Thu 06-Oct-16 16:21:06

Carers allowance unlocks lots of other things. You could work part time upto £110 limit and might be in a better position re HB and even working tax credits.

Do a benefit check to find out where you would stand in that.

Also how old is your DS?
Is he doing an apprenticeship, studying or plain FT work?
If it's FT work it would not be unreasonable, given your circumstances, for him to pay a fixed amount of rent each week.

It's not fair on you to cover all bills if he works and it impacts on your entitlements etc.

If his earnings impact your rent it means he is an adult and needs to contribute more imo.

petshopboy Thu 06-Oct-16 20:14:20

Hi yes he works fulltime
Thats why i have to pay full rent nearly
But its just aggravation with the council
So i was thinking of getting off hb income support /and poss stating on carers and topping it up with pt work but ive worked it out im still not gonna have enough to Survive on as my rent is £170 pw here in a council flat in london

TwatbadgingCuntfuckery Thu 06-Oct-16 20:50:23

OK. That complicates things but I do think getting DS to pay towards the rent. Half your current rent would be less than he would pay for a room in a shared house.

From where I'm standing its either he restricts his hour so the HB remains the same or he carries on working and helps pay room and board. Remember the debt is in your name but its his home too that is at risk if he doesnt help out.

Some other things to consider -

Could you and DS share care of your dad? right now I am assuming his health isn't so severe as to need to go in a home or have 24/hr care. Would this enable you to both work a good 25+ hrs a week to earn enough? Or could you both work long shifts over fewer days to share care? I don't expect this to be doable but an idea to explore.

If you had no choice but to work what would happen to your dad regards to care? Would you need paid carers? Would he go into a home?

SingaSong12 Thu 06-Oct-16 21:14:56

As your situation is quite complicated you might find it useful to visit the citizens advice bureau and see if they can help you. They might be able to do a review, if you give them the current details and maybe one option. The link below is for their website and then another of things to take in for a benefit check. Do bear in mind that they may need to make you an appointment depending on the weathe The link below this for their website (currently the page for England) and then another of things to take in for a benefit check.

SingaSong12 Thu 06-Oct-16 21:15:52

Sorry not "weathe" - Way they work

petshopboy Thu 06-Oct-16 22:07:00

Thanks for replies
No my son wouldnt care for my dad my son is 22 works full time 2 days off . busy social life .he did pay his part of the rent which was £73 pw till a month ago then he started a new job which bought his wages up .now according to the council he now has to pay £92 a week rent and £11 council tax he knows hes got to pay but moans about it .i also have to £40 rent and £9 council tax now ? I think its thrown everything up and stresses me out the council takes wks and wks to sort it out which also leaves me paying backdated rent council tax and getting in debt .if i was to go to work i would either have to work 25 hours no carerer allowance and just get to my dads when i could or stay on carers and try and find a job that pays £110 but still wouldnt be enough ;( whatever i do i will contuine to support my dad with cleaning .docs appointment letters etc he doesnt need to go to a home / carer at home .

Magpiemagpie Thu 20-Oct-16 04:52:09

Is there any way your dad could live with you

If so and if your dad gets attendance allowance and lives with you then there Is
no deduction for any non-dependants if your dad gets : ... Attendance Allowance;; getting Constant Attendance Allowance;; getting the care component of Disability Living Allowance; ...and a few other benefits

gingerh4ir Sun 23-Oct-16 16:57:42

if you earn over £110 you can still get CA. they deduct certain expenses (e.g
childcare but also 50% of your pension contribution). Last year I was just earning above the £110 so I doubled my pension contribution to get below the £110 and kept my CA.

AndNowItsSeven Sun 23-Oct-16 17:32:02

The problem is simple to solve , your ds pays the amount the council says he needs to or he moves out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now