Advanced search

Finding a live in carer without having to pay huge fees !

(15 Posts)
alicecad Sun 02-Feb-14 23:09:14

Trying to find a live in carer for my elderly ( but reasonably healthy) parents but shocked by the registration fee ( £120) and finders fee (£2500) charged by some agencies. I thought I had struck gold with The Lady only to find they charge £40 just to LOOK at one CV !!!
Does anyone have ideas about how to find an experienced, kind, CRB checked carer without lining the pockets of an agency or publisher??

poopooheadwillyfatface Sun 02-Feb-14 23:11:15

Have you thought about an ad in a nursing publication, like the RCN bulletin, or the local paper, or the Guardian?
You still have to sort out references and CRB yourself of course.

CocktailQueen Sun 02-Feb-14 23:11:57

Look at carer agencies. Our agency for mil supplies live-in carers.

ladypanbanisha Sun 02-Feb-14 23:13:06

If they don't need much in the way of care try an au pair for the elderly search.

poopooheadwillyfatface Sun 02-Feb-14 23:19:10

Or think about trying to poach a carer from a local hospital/care home smile

Live in carer is generally very expensive though. If they are quite fit , are you looking more for a lodger who will help them out a bit though?

alicecad Mon 03-Feb-14 07:44:46

Good suggestions, thanks all.

RuddyDuck Sun 16-Mar-14 18:28:59

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Jemima09 Thu 24-Jul-14 22:11:51

Does anyone know or want a carers job to look after my mother who is 81, has pulmonary fibrosis, is very social and thrives on Salisbury area... Needs to be reliable & fun!

Manuela10 Fri 01-Aug-14 11:43:18

You will have to give the carer a three hour break. i think this is a legal requirement. Call your local social services (adult social care) and ask them to recommend care agencies that they use. I am finding agencies will quote you from 660 to 950/1500 and you will have to pay for a domicillary carer to come in and cover the three hour breaks. Also you may have to pay a food allowance �35-80 per week and the travel expenses for the carer. Call your local Age Concern to ask about good local care agencies that provide live in care. Problem I am finding it that agencies charge about 700 p/w and carer gets 70 per day for a 10 hour day and prefers to be employed by the client. There is not much motivation for carers when the agency, gets a 70 per cent cut but does not seem to be doing much - apart from checking CRB etc.

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sat 09-Aug-14 07:03:53

Can I ask why, if they are reasonably healthy, they want a live in carer? Having strange people living in your house is very intrusive, and people only usually want it as a last resort, ie an alternative to having to move into residential care.

Most older people live without any care. Those with health and mobility problems might have carers coming in for visits during the day to assist with getting dressed, or making a meal. However, it doesn't sound as though your parents are at that stage.

If you could explain a bit about why your parents feel they need this, we might be able to suggest alternative solutions.

jazzbahia69 Sat 13-Sep-14 18:57:52

Can anyone tell me how do I go about doing private care work . Thanks

jazzbahia69 Sat 13-Sep-14 19:00:04

I'm looking for private clients to look after in their own homes in the kent area.

myhometouch Thu 18-Dec-14 16:57:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FruVikingessOla Thu 18-Dec-14 18:21:06

myhometouch, if you want to advertise your services on Mumnset, please contact MNHQ directly about your advertising requirements

Barbarawill Fri 01-Sep-17 23:39:43

Was a carer for many years working through an agency, then I worked in a private capacity for a 99 year old (for a year till he died, and then for a 91 year old who has just passed away) so am presently without work. Have tried to reregister at the agency I had worked through who have now said that at 71 I am no longer qualify to work through them. I am, therefor, looking for employment as a carer in a private capacity. I am healthy and more than capable of being either a companion/carer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: