Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Car seats in older cars (VW Polo)

(16 Posts)
berkotopsy Mon 15-Mar-10 18:52:07

Hello, does anyone know if the maxi-cosi car seats will fit in a 1996 VW Polo (5 door)? Handily, the maxi-cosi site will only allow you to select back as far as 2001, but I'm sure others must have a car as old as mine!? We have been to Mothercare today and tried one in the car and they said it wouldn't fit, which scuppers our plan of getting either a Bugaboo or Mothercare MyChoice pushchair. Does anyone have any experience of this with an older car?

orienteerer Mon 15-Mar-10 18:56:06

Not of specific help, however I had an N reg Polo when DS was born. Had a Bebe Confort seat then a Britax, both fitted fine. The Britax site goes back to 1995.

LadyintheRadiator Mon 15-Mar-10 19:00:04

I can't help with the car seat/age of car but will be an issue for me later this year - my car is a 1990 Renault 5! (I didn't get it until DS was forward facing)

But, I won't be choosing a pram based on car seat compatibility, just move the baby from car seat to pram...?

LadyintheRadiator Mon 15-Mar-10 19:00:23

I can't help with the car seat/age of car but will be an issue for me later this year - my car is a 1990 Renault 5! (I didn't get it until DS was forward facing)

But, I won't be choosing a pram based on car seat compatibility, just move the baby from car seat to pram...?

differentID Mon 15-Mar-10 19:01:34

do you really, really need the car seat to fit the frame?
it can be handy, but there is no necessity for it.

What was the main issue with the car seat not fitting? Buckle crunch? Seat belt not long enough?

smokinaces Mon 15-Mar-10 19:18:42

I had a 96 Polo when DS1 was born and we had a Graco carseat, which fitted fine. I didnt like the fit with the base unit, but it was fine with the belt.

We only had the carseat 4 weeks before changing for a Britax 1st class though (which stayed permenantly in the car as I dont like carseats on prams) which fitted great forward and rear facing

berkotopsy Mon 15-Mar-10 19:19:50

Thanks everyone! It was the seat belt not being long enough without the easy fix attachment, and when we tried it with the easy fix the seat wasn't flush to the seat and it wobbled around. I guess its not essential to have one that fits onto the chassis of the pram, but I do like the idea of moving sleeping baby in and out of the car without disturbing them... I've checked the Britax site and they are looking more promising, so we'll have a look at some of their pushchairs. Feeling like a complete novice!

trixymalixy Mon 15-Mar-10 19:26:14

I have a 1999 polo and the maxi cosi cabriofix fits in fine. The seatbelt isn't as long as in our other car, but does fit if you put the belt round the back of the carseat first and then across the lap and click it in IYSWIM!!

bubblagirl Mon 15-Mar-10 19:34:32

britax first class was the only car seat to fit our old car as it has 2 ways of being able to fit in with the belt the only car seat that offered this at the time

smokinaces Mon 15-Mar-10 19:35:22

Berko, you know guidelines are 2hours max in a carseat though? Lay flat prams are much better for newborns - and tbh both of mine got used to the movement from carseat to pram really quickly and would go back off.

berkotopsy Mon 15-Mar-10 19:50:45

Yes, probably should consider other options anyway, especially as you say they may go back off easily.

fairimum Sun 21-Mar-10 21:48:51

We have an older car and usse a cabrio with the easy base, it is totally rock solid and mothercare told us that with the base they fit the cabrio in 98% of cars!

Steggie Sun 21-Mar-10 21:53:17

I have a P reg Polo (no idea of year). I had a BebeConfort Creatis in there quite happily. I now have a rear facing Britax First CLass si and a Britax Evolva all strapped in with ease and good fit.

Peggysue73 Tue 14-Jun-11 16:07:25

I have a vw polo 3 door 1999 and cannot believe that there is no such child car seat that will fit into my car i am at this present moment ringing around as many manufacturers to see if they can advise me on a child car seat that will fit!!! There is no way i can afford to by a new car just so i can find a car seat that will fit so my daughter can be save!!! I think that car seat manufacturers need to realise that not everyone can afford to by new cars every couple of years and need to make sure that the car seats will fit into all old model of cars!! Ridiculous....if i find a car seat i will let anyone who wants to know on here!

silentcatastrophe Wed 15-Jun-11 18:48:04

We have a 1992 Nissan. Don't go to Halfords if you have an old car. They are unhelpful and totally useless. They did not believe me when I said that one of their juggernaut seats would not fit in the car. they also said that a huge seat would be the only suitable thing. This is not true. I don't like being lied to by an ignorant prat. If you need advice, look elsewhere.

MooM00 Fri 17-Jun-11 13:39:11

We had an H reg polo and an X reg maxi cosi car seat (ie it was bought for DN who was born in 2001) and it was fine belted. BUT we only had a 3 door so it went in the front seat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now