Talk

Advanced search

3 children under 3 ...which car seat for middle of row?

(12 Posts)
Madigan Fri 26-Feb-10 20:08:29

I am soon going to have 3 under 3 .... will need to put one car seat in the "middle" of back row, which is a smaller area than the side seats. Which car seat is best for this - thinking will put by oldest child in there - so seat suitable for 2-3 year old. Will need to be quite narrow I think ..........

thisisyesterday Fri 26-Feb-10 20:11:09

my top tip is... don't put the oldest in there! because when you have a group 1 seat on each side it will be impossible to get the toddler in the middle.

we have a besafe izi combi behind the passenger seat (for 2yr old), britax 2 way elite in the middle (for 8m old) and a britax adventure behind drivers seat (for 5 yr old)

Madigan Fri 26-Feb-10 20:25:59

next question .............

can you get toddler seats (group 1 I think - forward facing) which can be used with BOTH isofix and seat belts????? i.e. so I can use it in cars which do not have isofix.

I will have isofix points in the two outer seats in my new car ........ can put new baby in one side (as i already have isofix maxicosi base and infant seat), and was going to buy an isofix toddler seat for the other side, and then need a small toddler seat (seat belt, not isofix) for middle ................. help!!!

darcymum Fri 26-Feb-10 20:32:11

I had three under three and put the oldest one in the middle, the other two would have no chance of getting in there.

You really have to go and try some out as many just didn't fit at all. Have you tried any? because you might find it difficult if the other two seats are isofix as you can't push them closer to the car doors.

Madigan Fri 26-Feb-10 20:49:26

No have not tried because have not bought the car yet! And do not want to buy the car unless I can get 3 car seats in there .......

It is an Andi Q7. Does anyone know for sure if i can use 2 outer isofix, and 1 group 1 seat in the middle????

thisisyesterday Fri 26-Feb-10 20:50:42

ahh well i just lean over and put baby into the middle so i don't have ds1 clambering all over the seats.

but we do have rear-facing group 1 seats so i guess that makes it a bit easier perhaps

Madigan Fri 26-Feb-10 20:52:21

this is yesterday - are your 2 outer seats isofix?

thisisyesterday Fri 26-Feb-10 20:54:24

madigan it'll really depend on the kind of seat you get tbh! agree that the isofix gives you less lee-way than having all 3 seatbelted

did you know though that the reason that isofix is considered better is because it means you can't incorrectly fit the seat.
a properly fitted seatbelted car seat is AS SAFE as an isofix fitted one. so if you can't do it then all is not lost if you need 3 put in with belts

thisisyesterday Fri 26-Feb-10 20:55:46

no, ours are all seatbelted

darcymum Fri 26-Feb-10 20:58:29

I would beg, borrow, steal, three car seats and see if they fit before buying the car. Some cars, even bigger looking ones just wont take three child seats in the back.

You could always contact Audi and see what seats they recommend.

Madigan Sun 28-Feb-10 13:32:23

The answer is: you cannot fit 3 cat 1 car seats in Audi Q7. Am going to buy a Multimac, which looks like a godsend to me.

darcymum Sun 28-Feb-10 14:41:47

I just have a small car, a Honda jazz, and I can fit three car seats in the back. They are all belted so I can push them far over. I had to try a couple of different seats though before buying.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »