Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

What do you do with outgrown car seats?

(11 Posts)
Waswondering Fri 08-Jan-10 16:58:50

I am collecting a significant amount of hulking plastic just now! Dd has moved from her "big" carseat to a highbacked booster. Both "big" careats are big, and having been used daily for 6y, I wouldn't pass them on to anyone.

What do you do with them though? Chucking them to landfill doesn't seem right, but I don't know what the options are . . .

TIA

EldonAve Fri 08-Jan-10 17:29:30

landfill
freecycle
ebay

LynetteScavo Fri 08-Jan-10 17:32:22

I've given some away on freecycle, and people have been very grateful.

Othorwise the tip...they may have a re-cycling section.

CaptainUnderpants Fri 08-Jan-10 17:35:19

agree - freecycle

Waswondering Fri 08-Jan-10 20:55:36

Hmmm. They've never been in accidents though are well, well used - don't know eg what the polystyrene is like.

BertieBotts Sun 10-Jan-10 11:08:42

If they have been used for 6 years I probably wouldn't freecycle or ebay TBH. They will have wear and tear and would probably be safe, but might not be by the end of another child's 3-year usage of it, also car seats will have advanced by now so I'm not sure people would want one which was 6 years old. Though I suppose if you passed it on to a non-driving friend, ie it wouldn't be used often, it might be ok.

I was thinking about this the other day though, what could you use them for? Some ideas:

Strip the covers off and use as a sledge grin (If the right shape obviously)
Crumble up polystyrene to use as packaging when posting things, or use as "snow" when making a collage
If covers are in good enough condition, wash them and ebay/freecycle as spares

Any other ideas?

Waswondering Sun 10-Jan-10 19:40:52

Yes - I kind of feel that 6y is a lot of use, in and out of various cars.

I just wondered if there was a way of recycling all that plastic!

Treeleaf Fri 23-Sep-11 15:15:28

If you take them to a 'Give and Take Day' (most local authorities run them i think), people will have a chance to see whether they want them or whether they are really too 'well-used' (ie grotty?). Bit different to freecycling where people have to turn up at your house before they can check out the goods.

The good thing about Give and Take is that the events are supposed to be about promoting recycling so i would hope that the organisers would know the most appropriate thing to do with them if no one wanted them. And actually in my experience, someone will usually be there who may not have the luxury of being too picky or who may be brilliant at cleaning and reconditioning things.

Finally, i did once see an old carseat in a community garden which had been filled with soil and planted up. -Ingeneous, although perhaps not the most beautiful plant pot in the world...

nicm Fri 23-Sep-11 20:44:40

it would depend on the make. mc said on their fb page to dump after 5 years but britax said their seats are ok for 15 years! maybe email the company and ask what they recommend the seat age is? then if not dropped or in accident then you could freecycle/ebay/charity shop.

smile

justforinfo Tue 27-Sep-11 21:23:17

hmmm, i wonder if you could pass it onto a playgroup or something for the children to put their dolls in? I guess that may not be a great idea thinking on it.... but a Sled sounds awesome!

yoey Tue 27-Sep-11 21:35:10

The info that came with our seat said that it should not be used after a number of years (I forget how many- 5 maybe?) because sunlight does something to the plastic on the seat which may affect the seat. Sorry not more precise, am stuck feeding the baby so can't go and look!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now