Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Second hand car seat - to buy or not to buy?

(8 Posts)
gingerkirsty Sat 26-Sep-09 14:50:37

Hello all,
I'd really appreciate your opinions on this - we have decided on the m'care My3 travel system for our DD1 due in Feb, and wanted to buy the pram part secondhand to save money.

We have seen one nearby on ebay which comes with the car seat. The lady says it has never been dropped or in an accident.

We are hoping to go and have a look at it and also check her out - if she seems like a decent person would you trust her and use the car seat? I like to think that most human beings would not put a child at risk by fibbing about such things.

What do you think?

Thanks smile

DebiTheScot Sat 26-Sep-09 15:04:15

I wouldn't to be honest. I would use a 2nd hand seat given to me by someone I know and trust not to lie but not someone I don't know.

Just imagine what will go through your mind if something was to happen.

BertieBotts Sat 26-Sep-09 15:23:02

I would buy it and get a new carseat. Worst case scenario is you will have wasted some money unneccasarily. Worst case scenario using a secondhand carseat is that the child is injured or worse

I see what you are saying and I do hate the waste - but it's just not a risk I would take unless I had to.

Which carseat is it which is compatible anyway? The cheapest mothercare own one is only about £40. (But not very comfy and I would choose a different one if I was doing it over again)

LIZS Sat 26-Sep-09 15:26:25

Can you not buy it keep that car seat as an indoor seat and buy a new one for the car ?

gingerkirsty Sun 27-Sep-09 10:40:13

thanks ladies

differentID Sun 27-Sep-09 10:44:18

just so you know, the Mothercare traveltot car seat will fit on the frame if you desperatey need it to. it's about £50.

gingerkirsty Sun 27-Sep-09 17:09:14

Brill thanks x

MillyMollyMoo Thu 08-Oct-09 22:33:00

I was about to post something similar, still undecided, it strikes me it's a brilliant way of making money, no car seat must every be used outside of one family/friends through fear.
When they send the seats from China or wherever to the UK distribution centre and then onto the retailer are they seriously suggesting the boxes never get dropped or bashed ?

I still haven't made my mind up but the one I have my eye on if I need 2 for twins will be £400 shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now