Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Where do you find safety ratings for car seats?

(10 Posts)
Wigeon Fri 18-Sep-09 20:19:20

I am going mad trying to choose a car seat (9 months to 4 years size). Lots of my friends talk about their particular car seat scoring well in safety tests, but where is the information about which car seats are safest?

I am basically trying to find independent information on the most user-friendly, safe non-Isofix seats for 9 months to 4 years. I have looked at the Mumsnet reviews and an earlier thread about Which? ratings, but their top 5 are all Isofix and we don't have Isofix.

Gaaaah! Someone please help!

Thank you.

nicm Fri 18-Sep-09 21:11:49

hi wigeon

have you looked at rear facing seats. they are 5 times safer than ff seats. check out www.rearfacing.co.uk for more info. we have the britax two way elite for ds who is 16 months. it's not isofix and is easy to install. hth.

Wigeon Sat 19-Sep-09 08:49:58

Yup, have heard that rear-facing is safest and thanks very much for the link. Does anyone else know where you can find info on forward-facing though, as I'd like to look into those too?

IdrisTheDragon Sat 19-Sep-09 08:53:09

Hello

The which guide has things (and we are members so if I find my membership number I should be able to find reports). Will have a look for you

IdrisTheDragon Sat 19-Sep-09 08:55:38

Ah have seen that you have found that Which are talking about isofix.

<considers>

I am sure I have seen something about car seat ratings somewhere else as well but not sure my brain can find that information right now.

Wigeon Sat 19-Sep-09 09:38:33

Morning Idris! We are just off to Suffolk in about 5 mins.

Actually, I think your Which membership number would be really helpful because I think they reviewed all car seats (just Isofix ones came out top). If you could email it that would be very kind!

Hope the smallest Dragon has a lovely lovely birthday and give her lots of birthdayish greetings from us tomorrow.

BertieBotts Sat 19-Sep-09 09:43:45

There is a thread on here which has the top-rated Which? carseats for this age group. It was top a few days ago so must be here somewhere. There are non-isofix seats in the top 5 as well

BertieBotts Sat 19-Sep-09 09:44:44

Oops sorry, I see you have seen the thread.

The Kiddy Infinity Pro is the top rated one and it fits with a 3-point seatbelt.

Wigeon Sat 19-Sep-09 09:53:29

Oh yes, thought all the top 5 were Isofix but the Kiddy one doesn't seem to be. Although has that weird bar across the front (presumbaly makes it extra safe?). Thanks Bertie. Other info on non-Isofix seems hard to come by! But think Idris (sister-in-law) is coming to my rescue. Idris - don't know why I didn't ask you about this the other night when we spoke!!

Wigeon Sat 19-Sep-09 09:54:22

Right, just setting off away for the weekend so apologies if I don't reply on this thread before Sunday night!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now