Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Moving small weight baby into forward facing seat

(29 Posts)
dorisbonkers Sun 13-Sep-09 09:03:57

We're planning a drive from London to France when my baby is 1 year old. She is however on a low centile and probably won't weigh the required 9kg then, more like 8.5 kg. She's not awfully short though, just slenderish.

But she's really outgrown her MaxiCosi and her legs are bunched up and her head is scraping the back of my seat (erm, should explain that the interior of the sportscar is quite small...)

Her development in terms of holding her head, sitting, pulling up to stand, cruising is early or on target, so her small size hasn't affected any of this.

I'm unsure of whether to move her to a forward facer for this journey or just persist with the rear one (I understand some advise continuing with a rear seat until much older, but our car won't fit a rear facer for an older child.

dorisbonkers Sun 13-Sep-09 09:07:24

Should explain she's 10.5 months now. Last time I weighed (about 5 weeks ago) she was 7.5 kg. Doubt she will have put on 1.5 kg by 12 months.

oopsacoconut Sun 13-Sep-09 09:07:48

I wouldn't move her to be honest. Can you get 0-18kg seat which fit rear and forward facing? Then she can face backwards in a bigger seat until she is older. Also bent legs in a rear facing seat are seen as safer to forward facing at this weight.

cluckyagain Sun 13-Sep-09 09:07:49

NO advice on the car seat, but I would give advise on keeping your small sports car - unless you or DH want to be kicked in the back, all the way to anywhere from now on I would consider a larger car!! Believe me - it gets annoying after about 1 minute. lol cx

cluckyagain Sun 13-Sep-09 09:08:25

....said with experience!!

Clayhead Sun 13-Sep-09 09:08:40

I waited until my dc were 9kg.

oopsacoconut Sun 13-Sep-09 09:09:38

My DD is 1 and only 8kgs so is still in her maxi cosi and will be until her head reaches the top.

norktasticninja Sun 13-Sep-09 09:16:16

The bunched up legs aren't a problem for either comfort or safety, but her head shouldn't stick out of the seat any further than the middle of her ears. If it does you'll have to go for a stage 1 seat. It really is important to keep DC rear facing for as long as possible so if you can keep using the Maxi Cosi then do.

I can imagine that your DD hates the Maxi Cosi by now, my DD was furious every time we put her in ours from about 10 months!

We had a BeSafe iZi Combi (RF stage 1 seat) in the back of our tiny Ford Ka. Do you have 72 centimeters between the back of the rear seat and the back of the passenger seat? If so the BeSafe iZi Combi or Kid will both fit fine.

oopsacoconut Sun 13-Sep-09 09:19:22

<<hijack>> NN - thanks for that measurement - we are looking at the besafe izi combi for DD and were wondering about space in DH's car before went wasted our time going to the shop.

dorisbonkers Sun 13-Sep-09 09:21:50

It's a Porsche 911 (yeah, I know it sounds utterly ridiculous...) and the Maxi Cosi is the seat that fits. DH spent weeks researching it.

I'll stick to the rear facer if its safer and check her head, I think her ears aren't poking above it. I didn't know that about the legs though, so thanks.

We hardly ever drive but did yesterday and she was fine in it. I wouldn't say she loves to go in it, but didn't hate it either. Slept in it for 1-1/2 hours too.

norktasticninja Sun 13-Sep-09 09:26:35

oopsacoconut It's the RF seat that takes up the least space front to back, the next smallest is the Britax 2 way Elite at 83 cm. It fits where most RF seats wont and it's a good seat, does really well in all the tests (the Kid does slightly better than the Combi).

EyeballsintheSky Sun 13-Sep-09 09:31:14

I never heard that about ears. I was told that you should lay your hand flat over the top of the seat IYSWIM and if their head touches your hand then it's not safe to use.

envy at you having a Porsche with a baby seat in the back. Beats my dull old Vectra any day

norktasticninja Sun 13-Sep-09 09:31:32

hmmmm, I seriously doubt that you'll have 72 cm in a 911. TBH I think you'll probably have trouble fitting a forward facing stage one seat too though, even if you don't mind having your back kicked black and blue.

Maybe it's time to accept you are parents and get a (second?) more practical car? wink

norktasticninja Sun 13-Sep-09 09:35:59

IIRC (and I'm pretty sure I do, otherwise I wouldn't have said it) it's ok for their heads to stick out a bit. The people at the Essex In Car Safety Center (01268 297593) really know their stuff and will be able to give a definite answer. They'll be able to tell you which sets are appropriate for any particular car too. You don't need t live in Essex (or even the UK).

norktasticninja Sun 13-Sep-09 09:36:52

definite definitive

EyeballsintheSky Sun 13-Sep-09 09:38:58

Sorry NN, I wasn't picking holes in what you said blush. Sorry if it came across like that.

dorisbonkers Sun 13-Sep-09 09:45:14

Can I just ask why you can't have a Porsche and a baby seat in the back?

dorisbonkers Sun 13-Sep-09 09:46:29

Sorry, it's just I'm always getting grief over it.

norktasticninja Sun 13-Sep-09 09:48:54

Gosh no eyeballs! It's something that's hard to get a certain answer on. I was having trouble finding a RF stage one seat for our microscopic car so I looked into it, but it was about a year ago... Maxi Cosi told me what you said but I think the final advice was the ears thing.

Anyway, it's always better to check these things yourself than to rely on a random woman from 'tinterweb grin

norktasticninja Sun 13-Sep-09 09:53:45

No good reason really Doris it's just quite unusual! They are two things that don't really automatically go, it seems impractical IYSWIM. kind of like <searches wildly for a comparison> wearing Jimmy Choos to drive a tractor or something. Maybe.

norktasticninja Sun 13-Sep-09 09:56:16

I think, also, in a lot of peoples minds a Porsche is more of a second car or something for single people than a family car.

dorisbonkers Sun 13-Sep-09 09:58:39

"Maybe it's time to accept you are parents and get a (second?) more practical car?"

Well, I've breastfed a prem baby for 10 months for up to 12 times a day, I've not ever bought a pushchair and wear my baby everywhere in a German woven wrap, I co-sleep (and am woken up to 6 times a night because she's a boob addict), I've moved continent so she can be near her family and I've taken a career break.

I think I've accepted I'm a parent wink.

I drive a car maybe once a week. As long as it is safe (it is) and I can get a few bags in it (I can) then I don't see how that's selfish.

dorisbonkers Sun 13-Sep-09 10:00:40

sorry, cross posted.

sense of humour failure. lack of sleep grin

thanks for the advice. I sort of knew I should keep her in the rear seat but wanted to stick my finger in the air too.

norktasticninja Sun 13-Sep-09 10:01:16

Blimey lass, don't let me upset you! I really wasn't trying to, the [ wink ] was to show it was tongue in cheek.

Damn good work with the BF BTW, that must have been quite a commitment.

norktasticninja Sun 13-Sep-09 10:01:59

x! NAK you see...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now