Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Can you use a booster seat in the front with an airbag?

(9 Posts)
Janus Sat 05-Sep-09 16:23:11

Our airbag in the front passenger seat cannot be turned off and so I don't like to put any children in the front. However, I have 3 and so if we have someone back for tea one child (always one of mine) has to sit in the front. Just wanted to know how safe this is? My oldest is 9 (although petite) am thinking I still put her in booster and put seat back as far as possible is this OK?

reikizen Sat 05-Sep-09 16:25:46

Google it but I'm pretty sure the recommendation is no-one under 14 in the front with an airbag? Or is their a weight restriction. I think the idea is that they are so powerful they do more harm than good to children, don't think a booster seat would alter this risk.

cheesesarnie Sat 05-Sep-09 16:27:32

i was confused about this also.

BananaPudding Sat 05-Sep-09 16:32:24

It has been drummed into me that airbags kill children so I would say no, don't do it. However, this info from my state's department of motor vehicle safety says that as long as they are properly restrained and in a positioning device such as a booster that it's okay.

Airbag Info

bellavita Sat 05-Sep-09 16:33:32

I am sure that you shouldn't have an airbag turned on in the front if you have a child using that seat who needs a car seat/booster.

Twinsmommy Sat 05-Sep-09 16:47:24

I would say absolutely not safe and would never do it. The force at which the airbag comes out is high and would probably be at face height for the child - thus, if the child survived the impact of the car, could quite possibly be suffocated by the airbag in the face. The airbag wouldn't then stop when it hits the face - it would wrap itself around the head, so that even if the child turned its head to the side (if still conscious) the airbag would still be over the nose and mouth causing suffocation.

kellyatbabyguds Sat 05-Sep-09 16:48:42

In our training for car safety we have been told by Maxi cosi and Britax that it is ok to use a Booster seat in the front. It is advised to push the seat as far back as possible to avoid any burns from the airbag if it was to go off. The law relating to airbags and children is in relation to infant carriers and other rear facing seats due to the massive injury what would occur if the air bag was to go off because of the speed at which the seat would be thrown backwards.

LIZS Sat 05-Sep-09 16:51:33

legally you can.

Janus Sun 06-Sep-09 09:42:02

Thanks so much, I think the general consensus is not to but it's not strictly illegal to do so. As I say, about once a week/fortnight I have no choice as we have 3 and the additional person back for tea makes 4 children. We are only going 5 minutes drive home from school at tops 20 mph so I will have to put one of mine in the front. We are thinking of getting a 7 seater car and this makes even more sense now so that everyone is as safe as can be, so thank you as this info will sway us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now