Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Argos do a cheap 0-1+ rear / forward facing car seat from newborn. Has anyone got one or seen one and would recommend ?

(14 Posts)
puffylovett Fri 04-Sep-09 15:21:48

I've got a Silver cross Ventura from DS but am looking to sell the whole travel system, and am thinking with no 2 it's going to be a whole lot easier to have a fixed car seat and a sling for DC2.
My gut is saying go for the Britax first class but my purse and the argos reviews are saying go for their £35 version !
What does everyone think ?

puffylovett Fri 04-Sep-09 19:24:51

bump

nicm Fri 04-Sep-09 21:18:59

could you not keep the baby car seat, sell the rest of the pram and buy ds a rear facing group 1? we have the britax 2 way elite for ds and will last him until he's 6. the group 0+, 1 combination seats are only rf as long as the baby seats and then have to be turned around.

more info on the rear facing website www.rearfacing.co.uk

sazm Fri 04-Sep-09 21:37:42

i've heard LOTS of bad reports about the quality of thr argos one,
my friend had it and hated it,she ended up getting a new one for her lo,
DEF go for the britax,you can't put a price on your childs safety

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 04-Sep-09 21:40:52

i would never buy a cheap car seat

buy a proper branded one

sausagesupper Fri 04-Sep-09 21:43:21

we had britax first class for dd. Excellent would recommend, lasted ages until she was about 3 and big enough to go in one of those booster seat things. Only trouble is was a bit tricky to fit, we went to mothercare and the man showed us how to do it more safely for our car - would recommend that as well!!

sausagesupper Fri 04-Sep-09 21:44:30

forgot to add, will be buying another one for db when it comes, got rid of the old one!!

CyradisTheSeer Fri 04-Sep-09 21:46:25

Message withdrawn

puffylovett Sat 05-Sep-09 08:23:57

I'm hoping to use it until DC2 is 4 or has outgrown, so it needs to be built to last. Thats brilliant, thanks - I haven't looked in Mothercare as yet, will go and have a look next week !

Thanks all, you've confirmed my gut is the way forward smile

Knickers0nMaHead Sat 05-Sep-09 08:37:39

We have the argos carseat, Have had it since dd was newborn and has never caused us any problems whatsoever.

Dont know why people are saying they would never buy a cheap one. Doesnt mean there is anything wrong with them.

puffylovett Sat 05-Sep-09 16:07:55

How old is your DD now knickers ? Has it lasted well / easy to clean / easy to fit / feel rickety etc ? My other half thinks cheap = lower build quality hmm

I think we're going to use what we've got for the time being and then reassess in a few months

Knickers0nMaHead Sat 05-Sep-09 16:24:34

DD has just turned two. It is still in v.v.v.v.v good condition and is easy to clean/fit etc. Does not feel rickety at all. Nothing wrong with it. Will be getting one for ds in the next couple of weeks too.

DD's was £25 on offer when we got hers.

kellyatbabyguds Sat 05-Sep-09 16:52:53

I would avoid the cheaper seats at all costs. They offer much less in terms of safety features and I have actualy seen one of these after an accident and they do not hold up well and have since then refused to sell them in my store!! You get what you pay for in car seats and even if its for occasional use whose to say when an accident could happen.

Carseatcrazy Tue 03-Nov-09 09:48:39

Kellyatbabyguds, I agree. I think of it that the money you are paying for a good quality seat has actually gone into developing and testing the seat to make sure it is safe for your little one. I would also echo lots of people on this forum and point you in the direction of rearfacing seats for as long as possible. My ds is 16 months and is rearfacing in a besafe izi combi, and I hope to have him in that until he's 4 (or more, depending on his height and weight). He loves it - he loves looking out the back window and telling me about all the tractors and cars that he can see Please do look at some of the websites on this such as www.rearfacing.co.uk where they give you impartial advice on the differences between ff and rf Good luck hunting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now