Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing car seats. To find out which products have won Mumsnet Best, go to Reviews. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic.

Moving back to UK. What to do about car seats?

(4 Posts)
letsblowthistacostand Fri 14-Aug-09 16:17:28

We are moving to London in January. I've been advised that US car seats are not approved for use in the UK (sigh.) Annoying because I really like our carseats, esp DD1's awesome harnessed booster with cupholders.

Here's my main problem: DD2 is 13mo and weighs a whopping 18lbs. She's still in her infant seat but is outgrowing it by height and will need a new carseat between now and Jan. I'd like to keep her RF as long as possible. How bad would it be to buy a good seat here and use it when we get there? There are some nice ones here. I could get a cheapo one to get us through to Jan but all the ERF seats in the UK are SO EXPENSIVE. Seriously, I am not prepared to pay 350 (POUNDS) for a carseat when I can get a great US one for $169.

Any advice? Any links to more reasonably priced RF seats?

TIA!

letsblowthistacostand Fri 14-Aug-09 16:18:46

Also, we are not getting a full size car--we'll be in London and parking is at a premium and we don't use it that much. So the RF seat needs to be fairly compact.

risingstar Fri 28-Aug-09 20:50:47

seems totally reasonable to me...there are numerous examples of perfectly safe products personally imported that have not had the EU safety tests...they have probably had similar US/Australian/NZ ones instead. I'd definitely bring them. In fact i'm sure that there was a thread a while ago where people were buying them from the US because they could only by decent rear facing ones from the states

bloss Fri 28-Aug-09 20:59:04

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: