Talk

Advanced search

Size 2/3 seat with harness

(12 Posts)
PreschoolYes Fri 18-Oct-19 16:22:09

My DS will need to move from the size 1 car seat in the next 6 months or so but if possible would like the next one to have a harness rather than use the seat belt.

He's autistic and a nightmare with belts like airplane seat belts etc and I think he'd really dislike the car seat belt in a high back booster.

Does any one use a bigger seat still with a harness?

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Fri 18-Oct-19 16:32:05

Depends on his weight as the harness only does up to certain weight -18kg or 25kg I think depending on the seat and whether its rear or forward facing

PreschoolYes Fri 18-Oct-19 17:34:50

I'd want one going up to 25kg, he's about 15/16kg now.

BertieBotts Fri 18-Oct-19 19:05:39

Yes you can get one like that. Do you want a forward facing one? There are only four on the UK market at the moment. You'll need top tether in your car for 3 of them: Joie Bold, Diono Radian 5, Cozy n Safe Excalibur. Of the three I have a slight preference for Joie Bold. If you don't have top tether, you can get the Maxi-Cosi Beryl, but it's much more expensive than the others as it's only just come out.

If you're interested in the idea of rear facing you've got a much wider choice, but the seats are more expensive.

BertieBotts Fri 18-Oct-19 19:07:17

How to tell if you have top tether:

www.goodeggcarsafety.com/blog/what-is-a-top-tether.html

PreschoolYes Fri 18-Oct-19 19:21:58

Thank you @BertieBotts that's really helpful. I had read about the Beryl as we currently have a maxi cosi.

bobstersmum Fri 18-Oct-19 19:53:54

It's called a 123 seat isn't it? Usually you use with the harness first then remove the harness when not needed so it becomes a 23 seat?

bobstersmum Fri 18-Oct-19 19:56:13

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8845542.htm?cmpid=APP003

BertieBotts Fri 18-Oct-19 19:57:00

Bobstersmum unfortunately no, with those seats the harness is removed at 18kg and the OP needs to harness longer than this. So a 123 seat won't be suitable in this case.

BertieBotts Fri 18-Oct-19 19:59:23

Can't get your link to load - but a standard 123 seat, in any case smile You need a specific one if you want to harness past 18kg.

AlaskaWaves Mon 21-Oct-19 20:59:22

We have a diono radian 5 which can have the harness up to 25kg, either forward or rear facing.
I think it's great! However it's very heavy and took bloody ages to set it all up and put it in my car the first time. But now I know how to do it, it's fine!
The only negative about the seat itself is that it doesn't have a removable/washable cover so I also bought a waterproof insert just in case!

PreschoolYes Wed 23-Oct-19 13:32:34

Many thanks @AlaskaWaves it's good to know you like it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in