Talk

Advanced search

Anyone lived without the carseats you carry round?

(29 Posts)
Babbabump Fri 11-Jan-19 08:59:33

Hi smile
We have got a fab deal on a carseat that gets fixed in the car ... which is suitable from newborn and has made me wonder If i need to buy another that fits on the pram and can carry about ...

Anyone have any experience? I wonder if it becomes a pain taking them out of the pram into the seat and vice versa ...

moreismore Fri 11-Jan-19 09:06:27

It is sometimes handy to be able to lift a sleeping baby in car seat but hey shouldn’t really spend long periods of time in them so better to use pram instead.
You can get something called a snuggle bundle which is like a cotton blanket with handles-if you put that in car seat first you can lift a sleeping baby into pram without waking. Only works while they’re relatively small though. By age of 1 I’d say almost all will have outgrown baby carrier so may be money you don’t want to spend for a short period of time...

moreismore Fri 11-Jan-19 09:07:04

(By baby carrier I mean baby car seat)

reallyanothername Fri 11-Jan-19 09:07:27

It really depends on how much in and out of the car you will do - school run with older kids etc - several times a day then yes one that fixes onto the pram without disturbing baby would be helpful, only the odd trip out then no transfer straight to pram

Babbabump Fri 11-Jan-19 12:39:16

Oooh snuggle bundle may be a game changer!! goes off to google thank you!!

I do have a school run but hoping to walk it most days smile

itsboiledeggsagain Fri 11-Jan-19 12:44:33

I never took it out the car in 3 babies. Babies are much lighter than babies in car seats.

jomaIone Fri 11-Jan-19 12:59:46

We only used our lift out car seat until 4 months then became too heavy to lift out anyway.

GummyGoddess Fri 11-Jan-19 13:04:09

Ours our fixed and am on dc2. However I just use a sling and a backpack. Once sleepy baby is in the sling the walking sends them back to sleep.

We do have a pram but it's been used less than 10 times for both children so not sure how to answer that part.

Happyandshiney Fri 11-Jan-19 13:04:20

When our twins were little you couldn’t get side by frames for two car seats so we would like our babies out of the car seat and transfer them into the pram.

It wasn’t that big a deal (thought it did mean P&C spaces were really important for us.

What was useful though was to be able to put the babies in their car seats in the house and carry them
Both our to the car (and vice versa) that would have been far more difficult with fixed car seats for twins. Probably not such an issue with only one child though.

3timeslucky Fri 11-Jan-19 13:04:25

You don't need one. But if you don't get one you do need to be happy to lift (and potentially wake) your sleeping baby when they nod off in the car. But they're not considered safe for babies to sleep in for long periods of time so you should be lifting your baby out anyway.

PennyMordauntsLadyBrain Fri 11-Jan-19 13:08:53

We had a travel system car seat for my car and a fixed seat for DH’s (Joie 360 Spin).

The fixed seat is far easier to use, and as a PP said once DD was about 4/5 months the bucket car seat got way too heavy to carry her in comfortably.

Babbabump Fri 11-Jan-19 14:38:33

Thank you so much everyone - I was really overthinking this one! Im not going to buy one but will invest in a couple of snuggle bundle 😍😍😍

ifoundthebread Fri 11-Jan-19 14:55:41

I got a car seat with my travel system, used it to carry baby out of hospital and take home in the car. Then bought a fixed car seat and used that since, have used the carry car seat twice since (he's 9 month old now) because he projectile vomits every where and I had to strip his car seat and clean it, didn't want to put the bits through the dryer so allowed an extra day to dry. Find fixed car seat so much better

Paranormalbouquet Fri 11-Jan-19 15:15:07

We live in London, seldom drive and almost never took car seat out of car. If you drive a lot I can see how it would be useful.

MulderitsmeX Fri 11-Jan-19 20:47:13

I totally wish i had bought one like that, have used the carrier a bit but not necessary. Would hsve saved me about 400 quid!

bonzo77 Fri 11-Jan-19 20:48:50

Totally manage without. I didn’t use it for my first (didn’t realise I could do it) or my third (hated the car seat, preferred to be moved to the sling). It’s handy but really not essential.

ForgivenessIsDivine Fri 11-Jan-19 21:15:16

With my second, it was much easier to put DD in a carrier of some sort rather than struggle with the car seat. It meant I had a hand free for a bag and a hand free for DS. School run was much easier on foot even in the rain, than two children in and out of the car. Actually. . school run was with 3!!

Babbabump Fri 11-Jan-19 22:38:41

Eek!! 400 pounds MulderitsmeX - was it made of gold ?

Thanks for everyones experiences - youre all so lovely here

PippilottaLongstocking Fri 11-Jan-19 22:42:52

I only ever carried the seat to transfer baby from car to house if he was asleep, I didn’t use a pram or buggy if any sort til baby was around a year old so it’s definitely possible to live without!

WhirlieGigg Fri 11-Jan-19 22:47:56

I got a lift out car seat but never lifted it out because it was too heavy to carry with the baby in it. I purposely avoided getting one that clips on the pram base because it’s really bad for a baby to be scrunched in a car seat for a long time - for proper spinal development and breathing they need to lie flat. I wanted to make sure that nobody could risk my baby’s health by pushing him round in a car seat so I made sure it wasn’t possible to clip it on the pram base even if someone wanted to.

Iamnobirdandnonetensnaresme Fri 11-Jan-19 22:51:06

I never carried either of my babies around in the car seat. It is really bad for them to be in seats for long stretches, just get a buggy that lies flat.

Waterlemon Fri 11-Jan-19 23:00:19

I had big babies- I couldn’t manage them and the car seat! So I rarely took the car seat out of the car. And I’ve always thought it was best for baby to not spend too much time scrunched up in a car seat, so never used it with my pushchair/pram .

Although the car seat was useful when visiting relatives- for sitting in and as a makeshift high chair, particularly with dc1 who hated being fussed over or held for very long.

teaandbiscuitsforme Sat 12-Jan-19 08:13:01

There are advantages to buying an infant car seat, even if you don't take it out of the car.

Seats suitable from birth tend to go to 18kg. However, if your child is taller or heavier than the 50th centile, they're likely to outgrow the seat long before 4. (E.g. My 2 year old is predicted to be 18kg at around 2.5yrs).

In that case, it's better to have an infant carrier, use it until 1yr+ (13kg), then buy a rear facing 25kg seat.

welshweasel Sat 12-Jan-19 08:16:46

The safest way for a small baby to travel is in an infant seat, irrespective of whether you take it out of the car or not. The larger seats are rarely a good fit for a newborn and you may struggle to get enough recline. You can buy a cheap infant seat for around £40 (joie juva) and belt it in to the car. Once they grow out of it then you’ll know whether an 18kg or 25kg seat would be the appropriate next step - if you get a 0-18kg seat now you may be wasting a huge amount of money.

itsboiledeggsagain Sat 12-Jan-19 09:18:45

I am not sure I agree weasal that any old (cheap) infant carrier is better than any other type of seat for an infant.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: