Talk

Advanced search

Seats for 4yr olds with harness straps?

(9 Posts)
GF01 Fri 28-Dec-18 09:15:59

I'm hoping someone might be able to help or give me some useful search terms...

I'm after car seats (that can be attached to the car via the car's car seats) that strap a 4yr child in with a 5-point harness.

I suspect they might not exist - like maybe they only go up to ages 2 or 3.

Thanks a lot for any help.

dementedpixie Fri 28-Dec-18 09:16:58

It depends on their weight. Some harness up to 25kg I think.

fourthusernamebutwhoscounting Fri 28-Dec-18 09:20:00

Joie stages. It's an extended rear facing seat, up to age 4. You wouldn't get much use of it before your child grows out of it though.

bonzo77 Fri 28-Dec-18 09:29:51

I think that there’s only one forward facing seat with harness suitable for use with the harness beyond 18kg. It’s the joie bold. I think the stages is used as a hbb after 18kg, with child restrained by the cars 3 point belt. I think.

There is also the britax 2 way elite, but newer ones are only suitable over 18kg rear facing. Older ones can be used forward facing.

It’s very difficult. I have a 3 year old who is over 18kg so too heavy for most toddler seats but too young for a hbb. Luckily I also have an older 2 way elite

welshweasel Fri 28-Dec-18 09:32:41

It’s weight based, not age based. How heavy is your child? There are 3 forward facing seats that harness to 25kg - the joie bold, cozy and safe Excalibur and diono radian 5. They all require a top tether though which not all cars have. There are also many more rear facing seats that harness to 25kg, which would be a safer option.

welshweasel Fri 28-Dec-18 09:34:13

Also, for a 4 year old, there is not really any evidence that keeping them harnessed forward facing is safer than a hbb- is there any reason you want to keep them in a harness?

GF01 Fri 28-Dec-18 10:03:02

Thanks a lot for the replies. Lots for me to read up on.

I'm after it because...

It's a faff reaching over and fumbling for the bloomin' car buckle. This might be particular to my car, my hand-eye-coordination, or my intolerance of faff!...

I perceive the harnesses as safer - again probably a lack of objectivity; and the boys can do them up themselves. (God, I'm lazy!)

teaandbiscuitsforme Fri 28-Dec-18 10:55:30

If your 4 year old is mature enough to sit in a high back booster without playing with the straps or falling asleep, then there is a theory that they are safer in that seat rather than a harnessed seat. This is because in a high back booster, they are restrained by the car seat belt which allows some movement with the car in the event of a crash and therefore may put less force on their neck. In a harness in a crash, the child is restrained and the full force is put on their neck.

A harnessed rear facing seat to 25kg is also an option and would by far be the safest option (for any passenger, not just kids!)

DevonLulu Sat 09-Feb-19 06:54:55

www.halfords.com/kids-zone/car-seats/toddler-car-seats/britax-advansafix-ii-sict-booster-seat

Yes!!!

This. It’s the only one I can find that was a five point harness to 25kg. It’s the older version ll. there is a lll which does not have this option, so you have to shop around.

My boys were big and long but young, so I wanted a harness. Great seat. Only issue is the harness straps are not that long, but perfectly ample.

Hope that helps.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: