Talk

Advanced search

Base for Cabriofix, now and in the future

(5 Posts)
lah1308 Tue 13-Nov-18 14:29:25

We are expecting our first child in Dec and have been loaned a Maxi Cosi Cabriofix for the first, I guess 6 months till baby outgrows it.

Our car has ISOFIX fitting so would like to make use of them and buy the base however it looks like we can choose from the iSize(£179) , FamilyFix(£120) or EasyFix (£99) bases!

So we are trying to work out whats best, I think the EasyFix should be discarded as it is only suitable for the Cabriofix and thus we'll be having to replace it anyway in future.

Then we can choose Family or iSize...on the face it, if we say went for the Pearl in say 9 months time, then the cheaper FamilyFix does what we need...the John Lewis saleslady only really suggested the EasyFix or iSize as options so am not sure why now? As I think FamilyFix will do what we want and is £60 cheaper? Or is there something I am missing?

Maybe we should not be restricting ourselves to only being able to upgrade to the Pearl in 9 months time?

The answer may be simple but its all very overwhelming for now! smile

Thanks in advance

BertieBotts Tue 13-Nov-18 14:43:06

I don't think the i-size one is compatible - I'm surprised the familyfix is as it used to only take the Pebble, but the website backs you up. Perhaps that's what the sales lady was thinking too. I would check in store whether the model you have goes onto the familyfix base, if that's what you want. I wonder if it is only newer Cabriofix seats which work with it.

The bases which fit multiple seats basically exist in order to tie you into getting the next stage matching seat, which is a bit of a con. Most Group 1 seats don't need any base. The only ones that do are the ones which go with these multi seat base systems!

Also as you said first baby I am guessing you plan to have more. Therefore it is a false economy buying a base which spans two stages because by the time you need the base again for DC2 it is likely to still be in use by DC1 and you'll need to buy another one.

The Cabriofix (and seats like this) fit most babies for 12-18 months, so you do get a bit longer than 6 months out of them.

BertieBotts Tue 13-Nov-18 14:48:49

Maxi Cosi website suggests FamilyFix (non i-size) and Easyfix only. FamilyFix is defo a recent change, as they haven't updated the blurb at the top. So I would definitely check whether the model you have works before you buy.

teaandbiscuitsforme Tue 13-Nov-18 15:31:16

Choose a base that fits the group 1 seat that rear faces for the longest.

However, it will only be an 18kg Seat so if your baby is taller or heavier than average, they will outgrow it before 4. So you would be best to use the Maxi Cosi and then buy a 25kg rear facing seat.

A Cabriofix should last even the biggest of babies until at least 15-18 months though. They're huge!

lah1308 Wed 14-Nov-18 09:48:05

Thanks both, very helpful and makes sense! Will prob go for the cheaper EasyFix for now and when we are ready get a whole new setup for next stage so we aren't limited to Maxi Cosi Pearl and as you say our older Cabrio may not fit those bases!

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: