Sold car got rid of travel system inc baby seat. How do we travel?

(10 Posts)
Mummaluelae Fri 12-Oct-18 12:41:42

We sold our car due to it wasn't getting used enough and wasbquite old anyway plus we live on high streetso everything on our doorstep.
However, if we get a cab somewhere or family drive us somewhere, how? I have my D's carseat still but dd baby seat she was getting to big for anyway.
I am aware carseat is safety. And the law says if getting a cab and carseat not available its fine asking as child has seatbelt on ect.
My quest ion is should I just buy a carseat for dd just incase we do get a cab or family drop us somewhere?

OP’s posts: |
AliceMum09 Sun 14-Oct-18 00:10:07

Yes, you need a car seat. The law says you don’t need one in a taxi but you are seriously risking your child’s life if you don’t use one. Legal doesn’t always equal safe unfortunately. This video shows what happens to very young children who only use the seatbelt in a taxi or who travel unrestrained

If you travel in a private car with family by law you will have to use a child seat.

PineapplePower Sun 28-Oct-18 16:30:32

This is a big problem for us. We now take taxis/Uber everywhere and no one offers a baby car seat service. What do we do when we need to take a toddler somewhere? Right now we use a travel system but Baby will grow out of it soon confused and there’s nothing practical after that.

Hoping someone has advice about niche products or anything that can help lessen the risk? Can’t be dragging a full-sized car seat everywhere when out with baby

BertieBotts Sun 28-Oct-18 16:41:15

Yeah I would get one.

If your child is under 18m and/or 13kg you might still be able to use a baby seat and the Joie Juva is reasonably priced but safe. It's the head height you need to watch, not leg length and you can always strap the seat in then put child in if it's too heavy to carry them together.

For stage 2 it's trickier. my solution to this was an impact shield seat (Kiddy) but it's still fairly bulky and there are concerns now about the safety of impact shields.

You could go for a basic, lightweight/low cost seat. Again I'd stick with Joie. The Joie Tilt does rear facing and forward facing for £75. Or the Joie elevate is similar to a booster seat but has an integrated harness.

Again these are still bulkier than a baby seat. You can buy bags designed for transporting them through airports where you can wear it like a backpack.

You do have to plan things a bit more and/or avoid car travel where possible. It might be worth looking at luggage lockers to store the car seat during the day if you're going to be out and about. If you are somewhere uber is feasible you might have decent enough public transport to use that.

Want2bSupermum Sun 28-Oct-18 16:43:07

I'm in the US and I have this issue. We use the cosco scencera. It's very light, hooks onto the stroller no problem, easy to install and was cheap at $35.

Alanna1 Sun 28-Oct-18 16:45:33

We used trunki backpacks from c.age 3.5, but that age 2-3 period is hard. I have American friends who rate the mi-fold which is small and light and other friends who use the inflatable booster you can get (bubblebum?). It is easier when they are bigger.

Alanna1 Sun 28-Oct-18 16:51:40

But for a c.18m year old to a 3 year old - I’d get a proper seat...but wait till you need it... quite a lot of local cab firms have carseats for example but you have to request when you order. Good luck!


Nedzilla Wed 31-Oct-18 14:17:21

The 'Urban Kanga' looks like a good option.

its a folding highback seat with harness. suits 9-18kg, so perfect for those who have outgrown baby seat but not ready for just a booster yet even for travel.

Its not as safe im sure as rear facing etc until 4 years, and i wouldnt use as main seat. but for taxis, travel, car sharing, lifts etc it seems ideal

Nedzilla Wed 31-Oct-18 14:20:52

or this - the high back version from mifold

BertieBotts Wed 31-Oct-18 16:58:56

Yes Urban Kanga meets regulations. I had forgotten about that. Definitely better than nothing smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in