Talk

Advanced search

Not another car seat question ... help me

(8 Posts)
blackstar500 Fri 17-Aug-18 07:35:29

Apologies in advance ... I have read other posts but it just creates more confusion

I need a car seat that suitable for my 20 months currently he weighs about 13kg and a bit tall for his age .. ideally I need something that will last until seats are no longer required but flexible if one for all is not the best option.
Our cars are Audi q5 and mini ( to replaced with 4 door golf)

Many Thanks

teaandbiscuitsforme Fri 17-Aug-18 07:50:10

Axkid Minikid (or the axkid move if you want a bit cheaper)

By far one of the best car seat in terms of safety but it will last to 25kg, it's compact but loads of room for the kids, it's really universal so fits most cars and it's quick to install if you put an extra set of tethers in the other car.

Otherwise the Britax Two Way Elite is another good option.

Booboostwo Fri 17-Aug-18 08:36:34

The Britax two way elite hasn’t been in manufacture for a few years now and although you may still find it in retailers in my opinion newer seats have better safety features.

How about Cybex? They are excellent seats. The Pallas is suitable from 9 to 36kgs which is a huge range. For younger children it has an impact shield or can be used with a seatbelt later on. Cybex generally are very easily adjustable and their height limits are very generous.

Booboostwo Fri 17-Aug-18 08:38:30

If you want a backward facing on the Cybex Sirona is excellent.

You may want to check the backward facing one fits the mini before you buy it as I imagine space is very limited.

teaandbiscuitsforme Fri 17-Aug-18 08:55:06

The Britax TWE is still manufactured. The In Car Safety centre has exclusive selling rights in the U.K. which is why it's not sold in shops but if you buy online, they will provide fitting support.

The Pallas is forward facing so obviously a huge step down in terms of safety. Also, there is some debate about impact shields.

The sirona is fine if your DS won't reach 18kg before 4 years old but as he's tall, he'd likely outgrow it much earlier. It's also big so you'd have to check it in a Mini. Bare in mind that if you do go FF, you need 55cm clearance between the car seat and the seat in front which is broadly similar to a compact rear facing seat so no need to discount RF because of space.

Booboostwo Fri 17-Aug-18 09:04:01

Gosh you are right they are still doing the two way! Sorry about that. Still wouldn’t be my choice, no isofix, no side protection, no height adjustment.

Booboostwo Fri 17-Aug-18 09:05:48

My nearly four year old is 106cm and height wise still fine in the sirona, although he is moving to the M Fix now.

blackstar500 Fri 17-Aug-18 11:31:09

Many thanks so far ... Any ideas on forwarding facing models...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »