Talk

Advanced search

Need a car big enough for three children

(7 Posts)
Notevenmyrealname Thu 09-Aug-18 18:06:19

Baby number 3 is on the way and we are looking at getting a new car as our current ones won’t fit three child seats and 2 adults so we’d have to go everywhere in 2 cars. Sadly, a large amount of cash just sitting around waiting to be spent is not forthcoming, and both our current cars are 8 years old so we’re not going to get a lot for either of them. We’ve been hoping to find a relatively cheap used SUV that will fit a six and four year old and a newborn. Any advice? I’m usually pretty fussy about looks when it comes to cars but I’ve been overruled by my far more practical husband so any suggestions would be great. Don’t care about 4x4 as I live in Manchester so not much off-roading opportunity (although if they don’t fix some of the potholes round here, I might need to re-think that).

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 09-Aug-18 21:39:24

A lot of SUVs don't actually have a lot of room in them and don't have 3 full seats in the back so you can't fit 3 car seats. Definitely try before you buy! If you're on Facebook, join the group 'Car Seat Advice UK' and you'll be able to search for advice for cars that will fit 3 car seats.

We have a Seat Alhambra. It's very very practical but I actually love it now.

ProseccoPoppy Thu 09-Aug-18 21:50:37

Try a Dacia Duster. SUV style, really cheap (a brand new basic one starts at £10k - £14k would get you one with lots of upgrades like built in sat nav and rear view camera, metallic paint etc etc), could either get a second hand one or a new one on finance.

itis Thu 09-Aug-18 21:52:34

We have a Ford C-Max which has been a brilliant, family friendly car for us. We also have 3 children.

llangennith Thu 09-Aug-18 22:26:31

Ford Galaxy

Notevenmyrealname Fri 10-Aug-18 13:16:02

Thank you for the suggestions. I’ll look into some of these and have joined the FB group so hopefully I should get some good ideas.

Nooneelse Fri 10-Aug-18 13:19:31

When mine were 5, 4 and new born we bought a Peugeot 307 sw envy. Fab for 3 child seats and lasted us years, didn't cost a fortune either. It was the only one at the time that actually, safely, fit 3 child seats in.

Hope you find what you need.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »