Talk

Advanced search

my 21 month old keeps undoing his car seat

(4 Posts)
Sophiielb Mon 05-Mar-18 17:34:56

Hi I just wanted to see if anyone else has had the same problem with their children undoing the car seat clip. I’ve purchased the joie bold stage 123 car seat three weeks ago and now my 21 month old keeps undoing it my daughter who is 7 never once undid any of hers, is there any products I can buy to stop this happening? as I’m not sure I can take it back and it cost so much to just replace.

OP’s posts: |
teaandbiscuitsforme Tue 06-Mar-18 06:26:08

I quite often read the Facebook group 'car seat advice for mummies and daddies' and their advice is always that there isn't much you can do and you have to treat this like any other kind of unwanted behaviour. So stop driving every time it happens.

They also suggest putting the prickly side of Velcro on the button to act as a deterrent. Other than that there isn't much you can do apparently.

BangBangPurple Tue 06-Mar-18 06:57:37

Houdini strap!

BertieBotts Thu 08-Mar-18 07:48:20

He might be too little for this, but when my son wanted to undo his car seat, we told him he was allowed to undo it himself, but only when we said. If he undid it at any other time, he wouldn't be allowed to any more (and there was some other consequence I forget). This worked and he would wait for us to stop driving, turn off the engine and then say "Now you can undo your seat". It was an independence thing for him and he was so proud to be able to do it.

Otherwise your best option would be an impact shield seat but this would be a big expense especially as you've just bought the seat (perhaps you could look at selling it on a swap page??)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in