Talk

Advanced search

What do you do with used grown out of car seats?

(13 Posts)
MrsKoala Sat 25-Nov-17 11:33:04

We now have 3 cluttering up the place. Do i just take them to the tip? Seems such a waste. None have been in an accidents and all cost £100+ in the last 5 years.

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Sat 25-Nov-17 13:43:08

Sell on fb? Don't think charity shops take them. Otherwise it will be the tip

CurlsLDN Sat 25-Nov-17 13:46:22

Personally I wouldn’t buy a 2nd hand car seat from a stranger, however there are plenty of families out there who can’t afford to buy new.

If you know they are in good condition sell them on a local fb group. A family who needs a good car seat will get one, and there will be one less thing in landfill, win win!

SavoyCabbage Sat 25-Nov-17 13:48:53

I give them to people I know for a spare or for a grandparent’s car, that sort of thing.

FemaleDilbert Sat 25-Nov-17 13:51:38

Freegle/Freecycle?

GU24Mum Sat 25-Nov-17 13:52:45

Another vote for Freecycle - that's what I've done with mine unless I've been able to pass them to a friend.

MyOtherNameIsAFordFiesta Sat 25-Nov-17 14:00:34

I'm fairly sure you're not allowed to sell them (as you can't prove they haven't been in an accident), but you can offer them for free on Facebook/Gumtree/Freecycle.

AnneElliott Sat 25-Nov-17 14:03:26

I gave mine to people I know for the grandparents car etc, so they didn't have to keep taking them in and out.

PurplePillowCase Sat 25-Nov-17 14:06:48

recycling centre
cut the straps so they can't be used again.

MrsKoala Sat 25-Nov-17 20:38:47

Thanks. I'll look at freecycle. I don't know anyone with a baby so can't pass them on.

OP’s posts: |
Trumpton Mon 27-Nov-17 15:51:20

I was in a minor crash and had to have car seats replaced under insurance . I contacted the local fire service and they were delighted to have them to practice on . They might save a child's life in a different way .

BertieBotts Thu 04-Jan-18 16:52:52

You can sell them as a private seller, shops can't usually resell them, that's all.

Xmaspuddingdisaster Sat 06-Jan-18 15:57:32

I have sold a couple on gumtree, had bought those base things as well so a lot of money for just over a year of use. I would not buy one second hand but happy to sell as I know their age/no accidents etc - it is the buyer who is taking a risk. Plenty of people struggle with money and seem happy to get a better quality seat at a reduced price.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in